Problems with ventilation in new build!

Has anybody got experience of venting their house via window vents as opposed to holes in the wall.
We are building near the coast where winds are strong in Winter - the wall vents in our current house are incredibly drafty even when closed. We are at first floor level at the moment and I am seriously considering blocking up the holes that are currently there (how would I do this?) if I can get away with window venting in all rooms
Hi lfcjfc (if that's your real name). We built our TF house without vents (except in the bathrooms where electric air removal seems to be mandatory - the wind whistles through them in the winter, so I am thinking of baffling them on the outside). We have either rationel windows with vents or veluxes. The window vents are good - when there are closed there is no draft and when you open them, you can feel the movement of air. Our engineer led us to understand that a room had to have a certain minimum area of venting, so you may need to work this out to decide how many windows need vents in a room and whether you need single or double vents. After 18 months, no problems with damp or stuffiness (although some people say I should get out more).

I would err on the side of caution with window vents. Personally, I think that they would be completely inadequate for the purpose of ventilating rooms. The Regs require permanent background ventilation and for good reason: to introduce fresh air, keep air circulating, impede mould growth, etc. If you're really unhappy with the situation at the moment would you consider relocating the vents to less draughty walls?

I have teak windows with air vents, no draughts what so ever. Bear in mind when curtains are closed at night, no venting.

Sorry to go back to the mechanical ventilation, but has anyone installed one since...and how have they got on? We haven't started building yet. Would prefer not to cut holes in my walls that will have a fortune spent on insullation, but don't particularly think that window vents are enough. Have spoken to a couple of mechanical ventilation companies and think it's a generally good idea - but how air tight does the house have to be. I'd like to keep my open fire and chimney please! Costs quoted for mech ventilation systems are not too outrageous, but how much would making the place air tight cost? and if it isn't air tight, is the mech vent. system a waste of money? Any info or thoughts most welcome.....

I'm just finishing a TF and hadn't planned to, but didn't put in the vents in the walls or windows. tbh, I think they completely ruin the idea of a well insulated and energy efficient house.

I installed a heat recovery system from Proair (Tuam, Co Galway), and they just finished it last week. Cost was about EU5700 for the 316 sq m house. Their site is www.proair.ie and I found them easy to deal with

I was also involved in building a SIP house in Galway, and the contractor, after putting up this fab house...........bored 4" holes in the walls for air..............groan, what a waste......!!

In fact, and having visited two houses with heat recovery lately (one had it as the only heat source !) , I'm thinking of retro-fitting it to our old house.............would involve a bit of thought, getting the ducts in, but not impossible.......

Hey Galwaytt - juist wondering about air tightness? What did Proair require or did they give any guidance on it?

Back