I need to do a Form 11 self-assessment return for 2025 (and going forward) because I'm in receipt of more than €5K p.a. untaxed/non PAYE/non DSP/SW income starting in 2025.
Years ago (c. 2006) I registered for self-assessment because I was PAYE but also received more than €5K in untaxed nominal income as a result of shares in my employer's company purchased at a discount via their ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). This only happened one year and I did a self-assessed return for that year (2006 I think).
A while after (c. 2009 I think) I managed to get them to cancel my registration for self-assessment as it was no longer necessary and all of my income was PAYE. I only did the one self-assessed return and didn't do one for other years that I was registered. Maybe that was a mistake on my part but they didn't seem too bothered when I contacted them to get de-registered. All of my tax liabilities were always discharged which I think (hope!) is the key thing..
Now I need to go onto self-assessment again. I have a new cert and can log into ROS but then it only allows me to choose 2006-2009 for filing a return and 2025 isn't an option.
When I go to the help section it seems to think that I'm still PAYE.
But if I log into my Revenue myAccount the option to register for Income Tax (self-assessment) is not available.
Last time I called the ROS helpline they told me to use this option to register for self-assessment end ignored me when I kept telling them that it wasn't available on myAccount.
I'll try calling them again tomorrow but has anyone else come across this and know of a way to sort it out? Might I need to send them a paper Form TR1 to register for self-assessment? Would it be possible and useful to make an appointment to attend in person to Cathedral Street to deal with this face to face?
I really should have dealt with this before now but was stupidly procrastinating in anticipation of problems like this...
Years ago (c. 2006) I registered for self-assessment because I was PAYE but also received more than €5K in untaxed nominal income as a result of shares in my employer's company purchased at a discount via their ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan). This only happened one year and I did a self-assessed return for that year (2006 I think).
A while after (c. 2009 I think) I managed to get them to cancel my registration for self-assessment as it was no longer necessary and all of my income was PAYE. I only did the one self-assessed return and didn't do one for other years that I was registered. Maybe that was a mistake on my part but they didn't seem too bothered when I contacted them to get de-registered. All of my tax liabilities were always discharged which I think (hope!) is the key thing..
Now I need to go onto self-assessment again. I have a new cert and can log into ROS but then it only allows me to choose 2006-2009 for filing a return and 2025 isn't an option.
When I go to the help section it seems to think that I'm still PAYE.
But if I log into my Revenue myAccount the option to register for Income Tax (self-assessment) is not available.
Last time I called the ROS helpline they told me to use this option to register for self-assessment end ignored me when I kept telling them that it wasn't available on myAccount.
I'll try calling them again tomorrow but has anyone else come across this and know of a way to sort it out? Might I need to send them a paper Form TR1 to register for self-assessment? Would it be possible and useful to make an appointment to attend in person to Cathedral Street to deal with this face to face?
I really should have dealt with this before now but was stupidly procrastinating in anticipation of problems like this...