Problem with site boundaries

S

Shadey

We have recently been granted planning permission from the council. Our architect has made a mistake with the site boundary and made it larger than the actual piece of land that we own. We cannot obtain the extra piece of land that has been included on the site. The actual position of the house is on our own property and we own the required amount of road frontage.

We want to begin the project as soon as possible, can anyone help us out with suggesting what our next step may be. We have alot of questions that we dont have the answers to -
will we get a mortgage considering the situation?
do we need to go back into the planning process?
friends have mentioned retention of site boundaries (what is this)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shadey,

Is your boundary out by much i can't see much problems if the boundary line is out just by the thickness of a line. I'd just build your hous to the land you own say nothing about it and don't worry it can't be that far out that anybody will notice?

Joe

Thanks Joe

Unfortunately boundary is out by over 10 metres. Not a small mistake.

Hi Shadey,

Welcome to AAM.

I have moved your thread to the Homes/Gardens forum as I feel you will get more/quicker replies here.

previous threads might have some slight relevance to your problem.

Jeez 10 metres ia a heck of a mistake ! Some councils have a mimimum site size for one off houses i.e. maybe a half acre of even 1 acre. Was this an issue with you ? Also size of the site can sometimes dictate what type of sewerage treamtent plant you can provide. Also seperation distances for treatment plant (or septic tank), water well etc could be effected. To be honest, unoffically you can probably proceed but I am sure it will be an issue at pratical completion stage. Surely there is no way the Architect can sign off that it complies with planning permission therefore I assume you will need to apply to retain. This could delay your final stage payment assuming you are getting funds from a bank.
I would make sure your architect (if you haven't sacked him/her by now) would do the retention application free of charge at the very least !!

Id make it right before you start as it could lead to bigger problems down the road, i.e. selling the property etc. We had to buy an extra piece of land from next door just to get the size of house we wanted to build and it is only giong to be a garden area.

Back