Problem with Scanned Folio for second hand house purchase

jem20066

HI All,
Just looking for a bit of advise and wonder if someone has been through something similar and can advise.
We have finally found a house after a long stressful search and got full mortgage approval. We have signed contracts subject to map being issued from the land registry.
We got a copy of the map and it looks like the line drawn around the property doesn't quite meet the back wall? I hope I'm explaining it correctly.
Anyway our solicitor has informed the other side we need this rectified. Can anyone advise what's involved in this and how long it takes and if its even possible to rectify? We are obviously feeling quite worried as we love this house.

Many thanks
Jem

From my limited experience, boundary issues on maps are fairly common. Especially where a house is quite old.
Did you get a structural survey done by an engineer on the property? This is recommended costs around 400 euros depending. Those surveys can include the boundary to be walked with reference to the existing map. That'd be just for your own piece of mind that the house is structural free of major defects.
The seller can employ an engineer to walk the boundary and then submit a revised map the Land Registry. Something they do all the time. Someone could just have done it badly on the old map. Your solicitor is making sure everything's clear in case a neighbour comes to you and says that bit of your garden was mine all along and I want it back now.
It would only get nastily complicated if there is a dispute over a piece of land with the neighbour and no maps existing or something like that.
Our own house we bought the map differed slightly from the real size of garden but not enough to worry (about a foot at one end of our wall).

Thanks for the reply, the house it about 30years old. Its in a housing estate and theback wall along with the back wall of the other 12 houses cross this line. There are houses at the back which we would share a back wall with so Im thinking that it is just drawn incorrectly. Does anyone know how long this would take to resolve?

Had the same problem when I went to purchase my current house. Engineers survey mapped the boundry walls as being outside of the Folio. rectification took a number of months as changes in boundry required the co-operation of the land owners of the enlarged site. Without this co-operation you could encounter significant difficulties. This is obviously a problem for the current owner, but you will need to be prepared to wait until it is resolved if you want to progress with the purchase. Ownership of the common areas could prove problematical to resolve.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a house in an estate which was built about 10 years ago. There is a discrepancy between the original site plan and a digital print out of the actual site. The original site plan is the one that the deeds are showing as what is being sold. The digital printout in red while not significantly out is crossing into one site at the back and another at the front. This problem exists all over the development. I have instructed my solicitor to seek a deed of rectification from the other side. I just do not want problems if I ever go to sell it again. Am I overreacting.

Back