Problem with redeeming Gift Voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry31

Hope this is in the right forum.
I received a present of a gift voucher last Xmas for a spa treatment from a premises in Cork. This premises closed down, very suddenly for "refurbishment" in February, there was no notification I only found out in May when I tried to ring & make an appointment. I rang another of their premises in Limerick & that's when I found out it was closed. Long story short - they have denied that the Cork premises is "closed" as such but cannot give a date when it will reopen. They won't give a refund & the only offer they have made is that I can attend one of their salons in either Limerick or Dublin or spend the money on products. I don't find that acceptable - in fact I find it ridiculous to suggest I travel from Cork to either of those places. Anyone any suggestions as to what I can do? Voucher for €150 so it's not small!
Thanks

I'm sure you might be in Limerick or Dublin at some stage, just go and have a nice treatment when visiting. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of chasing and getting nowhere and will probably drive you to need other treatments altogether. I've had a fair few vouchers over the years that have fallen victim to similar problems as your own and that's what I did just for the sake of a quiet life and no hassle.

I don't know when I'd be in Dublin or Limerick & I certainly wouldn't be bothered making a special trip. I'm checking out what rights I have & see how I get on

Hi Harry31 - "Gift it on" ? Can you pass it to someone else as a gift / sell it at a discount to someone you may know that would be traveling to Limerick / Dublin ? Or treat yourself to a day in Dublin / Limerick - they aren't that far, change of scenery for a day?

Their offer sounds reasonable to me; you can get a treatment done in Dublin or Limerick, or take €150 worth of products.

And it was a present in any event!

Reading your posts and based on the above, my sense is that you're being unreasonable.

A voucher for €150 is not insignificant.

However, it's such a shame that you may have to incur expenses to travel to Limerick or Dublin.

Unless the premises reopens in Cork, you have no choice but to deal with the alternatives offered.

I would do this sooner rather than later in case their other companies close as well.

Make a note not to ever deal with this company again and most definitely not to recommend it to anyone in the future!

Marion

I'm not too sure about this. I understand that there is no sentiment in business, but a company needs to inform its clients if it cannot make its contractraual commitments.

One shouldn't have to find out by the way from another premises in another city!

That's bizarre!

Marion

This thread is bizarre; how was the business supposed to notify someone who's not one of their clients?

They've indicated that the outlet will reopen, the OP could use the voucher while in Dublin or Limerick, they've offered product, and it was a present in any event.

I am very surprised at the OP's outlook.

See the Consumer Connect advice on vouchers here. You have no entitlement to a refund on a gift voucher, if the voucher in question was specifically for the branch that is now closed, you don't even have an entitlement to use it in another branch, and if the Cork one never re-opens, or doesn't re-open before any expiry date listed, you are unlikely to get anything back.

So unfortunately you are caught with one of the many downsides of vouchers, your only options are to wait and hope the Cork branch re-opens (before any expiry date) or travel to another branch.

Funny why some posters seen to think its unreasonable to have asked the question - bizarre in one case! And - it was a gift anyway in another! I've got them to extend the expiry date until December so I'll see if it reopens. But certainly will tell family not to spend money on this company again

Funny why some posters seen to think its unreasonable to have asked the question - bizarre in one case! And - it was a gift anyway in another! I've got them to extend the expiry date until December so I'll see if it reopens. But certainly will tell family not to spend money on this company again

So they've extended the voucher's lifespan and offered you product as an alternative to using it in Limerick or Dublin.

And your response is to badmouth the company.

Interesting.

So they've extended the voucher's lifespan and offered you product as an alternative to using it in Limerick or Dublin.

And your response is to badmouth the company.

Interesting.
Only got that concession after complaining, not unreasonable to not want to travel in my opinion & don't want product - don't see why you have to comment like that? I'd appreciate it if you please don't bother commenting again.

If you ask too many more not to respond we'll all have to leave AAM!

This is an online forum ... you have to accept comments that might not suit you as well as those that do ... otherwise there's no point in posting on the forum!

For what it's worth, I think the company have offered you lots of alternatives in how you can use the voucher. Just pick one and be happy with it.

If you ask too many more not to respond we'll all have to leave AAM!

This is an online forum ... you have to accept comments that might not suit you as well as those that do ... otherwise there's no point in posting on the forum!

For what it's worth, I think the company have offered you lots of alternatives in how you can use the voucher. Just pick one and be happy with it.
They actually didn't offer me lots of alternatives just travel or buy products but I take your point about replies, I am also entitled to express my view that to travel for 2 or 3 hours I find unacceptable. But I won't be posting again as to be honest it was only a post looking for advice about a voucher for somewhere which closed without warning, if my husband had been made aware it would not be open in Cork he wouldn't have bought it. If people think that's unreasonable so be it

Harry wants to spend the equivalent of €150.00 in Cork. It is unlikely that he will be able to do so in the short term, if ever. The company in which he wants to do business doesn't know when it will re-open. He innocentally rolled the dice here and the wolves jumped in.

But, in fairness to Harry he is experiencing one of the faults of gift vouchers. Let that be a lesson to anybody thinking they are doing good by buying gift vouchers. Give cash instead.

. . . . and another thing An Post sells gift vouchers that you can't spend in An Post. Cash is King.

You might find that Harry 31 is a lady so the wolves you describe didn't jump on a him at all. At this stage I think this post has run its course. Opinions offered, opinions dismissed, offers made, not even replied to. End of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back