Problem with light

Discussion in 'Homes and gardens' started by taraking, Jul 11, 2018.

1. taraking

taraking Frequent Poster

i have a large chandelier on the landing. It’s tripping the fuse board. It’s connected in the attic. I’ve checked The wiring in attic & also on light switch. All seems ok, no burned wires or anything. It’s very high so need a ladder to get at the lightbulbs, is there anything else I should check before attempting the bulbs? TIA

2. elcato

elcato Moderator

The actual ceiling rose springs to mind but probably too high to get to.

taraking likes this.
  3. Leo

Leo Moderator

Also possible a bulb has blown and fused to short the circuit.

taraking likes this.
  4. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

Could be that the wire feed to chandelier isn't strong enough to feed the bulb output. Get an electrician, he has the tools and appropriate ways to get to that height.

taraking likes this.
  5. taraking

taraking Frequent Poster

I installed the fitting myself, so I know where the connection is& checked it, it seems fine. Could a blown bulb cause the switch to trip. Thanks for replies
    Ps forgot to mention it had worked perfectly for 2 years

6. Buddyboy

Buddyboy Frequent Poster

Yes, it is possible for a blown bulb to blow in such a way that it is now grounding the circuit. Are any of the bulbs blown? If there are, then that's where I'd look. Especially if you have already checked the switch and connection.

Also, you might consider replacing all the bulbs when you are up there (depending on how many there are and the cost of same), as all bulbs are of the same age, and Murphy's law will apply (as soon as you have the ladder returned, the next bulb will blow.)