Problem with Electricity Provider

TrueBlue1150

Advise Please.

I posted this in Ask About Law on Friday but so far I have not had any replies. Perhaps I should have posted in this forum initially.

Before my tenants moved out two months ago, I asked them to have the electricity pre- pay meter disconnected and removed so that I could transfer the electricity back to the ESB. After many phone calls from the tenants to the provider, the pre-pay meter was not removed. Two weeks ago, the electricity was disconnected to the house. I have not been able to advertise the property for the past two months, as I require electricity so that I can repaint the house. The ESB need a code so that they can remove the pre-pay meter and reconnect the house back to their network. The provider will not tell me the code without first opening an account with them. This will cost me €158.90!
Surely from a legal point of view they cannot do this as I have not (and will not) enter into an agreement with them? The tenant originally entered into an agreement with them but that agreement ceased one month ago when they closed the account.
Do I have any option other than to pay them what they have requested so that I can then cancel the account and move back to the ESB?

If you want to get over the issue quickly I would advise to pay. If you pay - does that mean you are signed to a year long contract ?

If you don't pay and continue to fight the case - every day that you fight - is a day without rent. That rent would more than make up for the win of the fight.

It is terrible how they are treating you. Why don't you bring them to court for non removal of their goods ? Ring them up and ask them for a department and contact that this summons should be issued upon - see if that will get any reaction from them. Other than that you could do a sit in protest in their head office and don't move until they have agreed to remove the box.

What does it say in the terms and conditions of the initial contract ?

Why can ESB and the provider not deal with this together ?

Is their any outstanding monies owed against the house ?

At this stage I don't know if I would have to sign a one year contract if I paid them the €158.90.

I have no idea what the terms and conditions in the original contract say as it would have been between the tenant and the provider.

The ESB are unable to do anything as a pre paid meter was fitted to the property. They need a code from the provider before they can remove the meter and the provider will not provide me with the code until I put my name on the account.

As a pre-paid meter was fitted, this would suggest that the tenant may have fallen into arrears. I don't know if there is an outstanding debt owing and I presume that the provider is not allowed to tell me as the account would not have been in my name.

I really do not want to be forced into signing a contract with a company that I would never have wanted to do business. Already I have spent over three hours on their customer support telephone line!

It was suggested that I make contact with the Energy Regulator and lodge a complaint with them. I had also thought about going down the small claims court road, but I would prefer not to do this unless it was absolutely necessary.

Advise Please.
I posted this in Ask About Law on Friday but so far I have not had any replies. Perhaps I should have posted in this forum initially.

I have removed your other post. Please do not duplicate posts as it is in breach of

If you feel that you have mistakenly posted in the wrong forum please report ( ) this and ask that it be moved by one of the moderators.

Back