Problem Tenant - is selling up the path of least resistance?

Never had a bad tenant who the neighbours had a problem with. Had a few who just stopped paying.

Last time it took about a year after giving notice and they overheld for about 3 months. Though didn't stop paying. Then disappeared the day before the RTB hearing. Cost about 3~4k in painting and clearing out, repairs. Then took about 6~9 months for the sale to complete. Part of that was delays with banks and solicitors due to them being them and Covid.

I posted in June about a problem tenant and was advised that it's almost impossible to have a tenant evicted on the grounds of "anti-social behaviour". I sent a warning letter last year and am ready to proceed with an eviction notice. I feel I have to assume the tenant will take the case to the PRTB, drag it out etc. The management agent is telling me that the people living around the property believe there is drug dealing going on there, that there is constant partying and constant disturbance of the neighbours' "peaceful enjoyment" of their homes - and I keep asking for something more concrete that I can quote as I am really wary of proceeding with something that will fall apart when it hits the PRTB. I am working on getting that concrete info from one of the neighbours this week. This tenant was placed by DCC, who pay the rent to me directly - but who wash their hands of any involvement in a resolution. It's between me, the tenant, and the PRTB.

An alternative way forward would be to put the property up for sale. There is about 200K left on the mortgage and I think I'd get between 290 and 300K for it. I have to pay about 3K in tax and about 2.5K in management fees. However, selling would require 6 months notice as tenant has been there for almost 6 years. 6 months of torturing the neighbours. It would be a definite end though - and I wouldn't have to worry about going to court etc. I feel awful that I am responsible for the other residents suffering. On the one hand, I am tired of it all - tired of how DCC has zero standards or accountability for social tenants and think I just want rid. On the other hand, I don't want to let their behavior dictate such a huge financial decision. Having guaranteed rent gives great peace of mind. I had planned to hold onto it for another 2 years before this came to a head. I am in contract with DCC for another 2 years. I could get the tenant out, and they could place a new set of degenerates there, or I could be lucky.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance,

Pearl
Hello Pearl
Sorry quick run through most of your problems are caused by the RTB who are supposed to be even handed but are far from it. If you read their garbage you will see if you damage your own apt the RTB will help the tenant gain up to 40000 euro in compensation from the LL but if the tenant damages the apt the LL receives no help from the RTB.
You have to get the tenants out before you can sell, but the RTB will protect the rights of your tenants to deal drugs and damage your apt. You can contact the housing minister but he will support the RTB ....You can contact your local member of Parliment and ask them to ask the housing minister why he allows the RTB to continue supporting criminals

Sounds an awful situation OP. How do you have another 2 years contract with DCC if the tenancy is registered with the RTB? Looks like your agreement is with the tenant and DCC are just paying the tenants rent so they won't do anything and RTB rulings for ASB will probably take the same time as the normal notice period or possibly even longer plus the stress. Notice is 28 days for breach of other tenant obligations not only ASB.

Back