Problem paying my Preliminary Tax

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I did my tax return in early October.

I did the usual payment method via ROS and set the date for 12th November - let's say it was €10,000.

I got a letter from the CG on the 17th November saying that the bank had returned it unpaid, which was odd, as the money was there.

I think that this is what happened. I was cancelling a Direct Debit mandate for an insurance company and noticed a lot of old DD mandates from Revenue. I deleted the oldest but left the last three or 4. So presumably one of the old ones was still live.

So I set it up again on 17th November via Ros.

The CG did not take it.

I rang a few days ago and the woman said it was set up properly so she did not know why it was not taken. She could not contact anyone to explain, so she suggested using My Enquiries.

I am getting nowhere with them.
They told me that the one on the 17th November was cancelled but did not say by whom.
They told me that an amount of €8,000 was paid on 12th November. I didn't pay this and there is nothing on Ros about it.

Can someone explain how it works generally.

When I pay by ROS, do I set up an ordinary Direct Debit or is it something else?
Why were there 6 or 7 DDs listed for Revenue?
Assuming I inadvertently cancelled it, did I fix the problem by setting it up again?

If I can't fix it this way, is there another way to pay it e.g. bank transfer?

Brendan

I wouldn't have thought that you'd set up a direct debit unless there were regular payments going out. In this case I would've expected that you'd configure, on your online banking, an external payee account for Revenue and then manually do the once-off payment. That's what I've always done in cases like this anyway.

But I don't think that that really helps with your substantive issues unfortunately.

In ROS there is an option Payments and Refunds, select Tax Payment/Income Tax/Preliminary tax and you can pay with a credit card. You get an instant confirmation in your Revenue Record Inbox. You can also see all your Payments and Charges in the side menu.

I setup the ROS Debit Instruction and then they take whatever I authorise on the ROS website when I submit my Form 11 return

I setup the ROS Debit Instruction and then they take whatever I authorise on the ROS website when I submit my Form 11 return

That was what I had set up and then I inadvertently cancelled it.

So I did it a second time:

1669372620263.png

It is showing as correctly set up on ROS.
There is an active DD for LPT on my bank account.
But no active DD for Income Tax on my bank account - but that might be because Revenue has not activated the new one.

I rang the CG's office just now. After 2 1/2 hours of various options, options as Gaeilge, etc., they just said "we are busy now, call back later" and hung up.

Brendan

It'll get sorted out eventually - and they won't be chasing you for late fees or interest, in my experience after having trouble paying some years ago before I setup the RDI

Thanks jpd

That's a relief.

I don't know if the problem is at their end or if it's at my end, what I need to do to fix it.

Brendan

My experience with Revenue, both online and in person (phone) has always been very positive.

I use Myaccount to submit my rental income. I usually get an updated P21 the next day, go online and make the payment and then get another updated P21 a day or so later.

I know it not exactly the same thing however have found Myaccount very easy and straight forward. Maybe ROS is different.

Brendan go online and set up the direct debit again. If you are using Ros and not myaccount:
Send a message using my enquiry and let them know that you made an error with the direct debit and it was cancelled in error and that you are trying to pay Revenue the tax owed. Happened to us when the bank account was closed and as long as they know you should be fine.

Dont forget on the first payment you can only transfer €1000 in one go then after that you can pay over €10,000 depending on your bank.
Go into manage payment ros direct debit manage set up enter your password to accept the direct debit instruction.
Then payment submit payment/future to /tax payment/declaration tax type/ there is a box you tick if you want to be paid without return. Enter €1000 and then tomorrow send over the balance.

Brendan I think there is a basic misunderstanding here which is the main cause of your confusion and some of the replies are not helping.

You are not paying you income tax by direct debit but by debit instruction which is different. Your LPT is paid by direct debit.

Brendan, have you tried contacting your bank in case the issue is on their side? I’ve had a similar problem before where I had an RDI set up for tax but the money wasn’t taken. In my case, it was because the account I was trying to use did not allow direct debits or debit instructions. From Revenue’s perspective, it was set up correctly, but the bank refused it. While this probably isn’t your exact issue, there might still be a problem they can fix to allow the RDI to go through.

I have a recollection that when the RDI was set up, I had to send a form to my bank authorising it - but maybe that's not a correct memory

Hi Brendan, I got an unpaid income tax letter for October last week - due to be debited in november - but no attempt to take out occurred. Perhaps there was a glitch? 14th november it says I was supposed to be debited but there was money in the account and no attempt to take it

Back