Problem opening Rabo account

• Thread starter cianlanders
  • Start date
NIB offer an Actividentity Card option to all customers. AIB are currently [broken link removed] to business banking customers.

There are a number of different type of Digipasses that banks can use. Some types of Digipass offer lower levels of security which can be appropriate in some cases. See Vasco's site for more information http://www.vasco.com/products/range.html However, RaboDirect use the Digipass 250 which offers extremely high levels of two-factor authentication. We will launch the Digipass 300 Comfort Voice later this year for visually impaired customers.

Such two-factor authentication is no longer recognised as the panacea for security problems. I doubt an account with a dongle is significantly more secure than one without. There is also the extra hassle of having to carry the dongle around, and the risk of delays if it has to be replaced due to loss or malfunction (as above.). None of that has stopped me using the above accounts though!

There are different types of two-factor authentication. For example, you can adopt code cards like AIB has done for personal customers but these are old systems and not as strong as the Digipass solution. (This is not meant to be a cheap shot at AIB. Code cards are quite old in e-security terms. At least they have taken some steps to improve security) The key strengths of the Digipass system that RaboDirect use are:
- You can only use the Digipass with your unique Customer Number and your unique 5 digit PIN code for your Digipass
- The random code that the Digipass generates can only be used once and is only valid for 36 seconds (which drastically reduces the chances of falling victim to "man-in-the-middle" attacks).
- You authenticate transactions using the Digipass's secondary function. Again, this helps to protect against man-in-the-middle attacks.

It is proven without doubt that static passwords and PIN's are very vulnerable to phishing and key stroke logging attacks. Fraud is a mobile - it moves around and attacks the weakest point. We will continue to see high rates of phishing attacks in Ireland until the Irish banks seriously upgrade their security. RaboDirect will continue to ensure that its online banking security remains best practice and we've been happy to share our knowledge with the other banks in this area.

Customers also have a role to play here. It goes without saying that we all need to be careful not to disclose PIN and Customer Numbers and that firewalls and anti-virus software applications should be installed and kept up to date.

Regards,
RaboDirect

See mine of 4 Jan re worried about being able to use the digipass gadget. I received it this morning and see no problem with it -very easy to use.

Assume generic thread but can be moved as appropriate.

County Dublin residence, no postcode. Online savings acc Rabobank requires mandatory postcode entry for Dublin county addresses. Does not recognise "no postcode."

Any solution found apart from requesting emailed copy or copy in post?

Assume generic thread but can be moved as appropriate.

County Dublin residence, no postcode. Online savings acc Rabobank requires mandatory postcode entry for Dublin county addresses. Does not recognise "no postcode."

Any solution found apart from requesting emailed copy or copy in post?

Dear Balga,
You can select 'Co Dublin' in the 'County' drop down box. It is the second one on the list. Ignore the Postcode drop down list. If you have any further problems please feel free to call the Contact Centre on 1850 88 22 22. They'll be there till 8pm tonight.

Kind regards,
RaboDirect

Does anyone know how long it takes to get back your original documentation? I opened my rabo account a fortnight ago and have yet to receive anything back. The account is up and operational now, so I wonder will it be much longer?

Don't worry about it. You should have it next week - mine came about two weeks after account was opened.

I received an e-mail this week from RaboDirect offering €20 to anyone who opened a RaboDirect Account. Their promotion is called "beat the blues". Has anyone availed of this offer I wonder?

They ran that offer at least once and possibly twice before and some people benefited from it.

Yes, but as sheena1 asks is there anybody out there who availed of the offer? I received a similar e-mail several weeks ago. Got four friends to open accounts. Two weeks ago (19 Jan) I e-mailed Rabodirect re accounts opened on my recommendation and asked how to claim the €20. To date I have received no reply.

This new dongle that AIB are introducing is totally daft. I use 500 websites a year and several related to finance so if they all start introducing dongles I will need a suitcase to carry them around. A previous poster correctly pointed out that they will fail, get lost, fall out of your pocket into the loo, batteries will die, you will sit on it, pour your tea on it and probably once every year or so lose it. Dongles were dumped as a daft and un-necessary complication 25 years ago for exactly the same reasons that still pertain. I will now look to change my bank to one where I do not need a dongle, I do not need a passport in my own branch to withdraw money and can get foreign currency without giving 10 days notice.

Back