Problem opening Rabo account

• Thread starter cianlanders
  • Start date
C

cianlanders

Re: Best value lump sum deposits (Euro)

I just tried to open an account with Rabo ( the one paying the 4.75%) , intending to deposit 10K. After going through the whole rigmarole it would not download the necessary documentation.

Then the web site sent an error message , apologies etc, they dont want to make it easy for me to give them my money ?

and no its not my computer that is the problem . Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Best value lump sum deposits (Euro)

Yes - I had the very same problem. Box came on screen '' internet explorer cannot download manager.pdf from secure 1. robodirect.ie. Internet explorer was not able to open this internet site. The request site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.'' I rang Rabodirect and got nowhere. I tried several days over Xmas but same message kept coming up.

Same happened me, when I had filled in the details and was instructed to confirm and print,so I filled in again and went to file and print and managed to print off the document before I hd to press confirm and print. I phoned Rabo and told them of the problem and that I didn't know if I had, in fact confirmed. I was told to just sign and send in application with necessary documentation and if I didn't get the e-mail of confirmation today, they would send me one when the application arrived. In the event, I did get my e-mail.
I know it doesn't inspire confidence, but in my dealings with Rabo up to now I've no complaints.

Same happen to me with Internet Explorer, but worked OK with Mozilla Firefox browser.

We are currently experiencing difficulties with Internet Explorer 7.0. IE7 users cannot download Adobe pdf forms in our Secure Website. The online Account Opening Application Form sits on our Secure website. We have been working on a fix for this issue over the last couple of days and expect to resolve it in the next day or two. We apologise for the inconvenience but as you may appreciate, fixing these issues can sometimes take longer than anticipated.

In the interim you can send an email to [email protected] and a Customer Account Executive will email you a soft copy of the application form. Alternatively you can call the Customer Contact Centre on 1850 88 22 22 for assistance from Monday - Friday from 8am - 8pm.

Regards,
RaboDirect

Was thinking of opening an account with Rabo - what is the consensus out there on dealing with them??Is it strange to deal with a bank that isn't physically there...??

Was thinking of opening an account with Rabo - what is the consensus out there on dealing with them??Is it strange to deal with a bank that isn't physically there...??

I had a nightmare three weeks ago.
They have the gadget, a Digipass, that supposedly gives extra security. Though I had only used it about 10 times, it malfunctioned. So secure that even I could not access my account.
Something so simple as that malfunctioning hardly inspires confidence about their overall security.
Anyway, I notified them and waited over SEVEN hours for a response... I guess that's as a result of the bank not being physically there.

On the brightside, in those intervening hours I discovered that Northern Rock are giving a higher overall rate and opened an account with them.
In fact, I've just checked and finally, three weeks later, the money I attempted to lodge into my RaboDirect account has finally landed safe and secure in an alternate account (Northern Rock).

Nightmare!

RaboBank are as physically there as Northern Rock -- they both have offices in Dublin city centre. You can just can't go in to them in person.

RaboBank are as physically there as Northern Rock -- they both have offices in Dublin city centre. You can just can't go in to them in person.

This is true, but two points to note:
1. Northern Rock give a higher rate
2. Northern Rock use a number of passwords/questions to allow customers access to their accounts. RaboDirect have this wonky gadget that prevented me accessing my account, resulting in a three week delay in my lodging funds.

This is my experience, make your own minds up.

Lads, ye are making me very nervous going on about Northern Rock and Rabodirect. I have a Northern Rock on line account and never had a problem with it. Have just opened a new Rabodiirect account and eagerly awaiting my 'digipass' machine. I'm not good with gadgets and wonder will I be able to operate it. Should have it within the next week and will pass judgement then. I know I cannot meet Mr/Mrs. Northern Rock or Mr/Mrs. Rabodirect in person but as long as their banks are sound I'm happy. They are both sound, arent they??????????

To be fair, I think this might be an Adobe problem.

Has anyone else been having problems downloading PDfs?... with both IE and Firefox?

On the brightside, in those intervening hours I discovered that Northern Rock are giving a higher overall rate and opened an account with them.

For completness

Up to 10k, Rabo rate is higher : NR 4.15% & RaboDirect 4.75%
Above 10k, NR is better: NR 4.15% & RaboDirect 3.70%

We are currently experiencing difficulties with Internet Explorer 7.0. IE7 users cannot download Adobe pdf forms in our Secure Website. The online Account Opening Application Form sits on our Secure website. We have been working on a fix for this issue over the last couple of days and expect to resolve it in the next day or two. We apologise for the inconvenience but as you may appreciate, fixing these issues can sometimes take longer than anticipated.

Update Thursday 8.35am
This technical issue is now resolved and customers using Internet Explorer 7.0 should no longer experience problems downloading Adobe pdf documents on the RaboDirect Secure Website. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
RaboDirect

This is true, but two points to note:
2. Northern Rock use a number of passwords/questions to allow customers access to their accounts. RaboDirect have this wonky gadget that prevented me accessing my account, resulting in a three week delay in my lodging funds.

This is my experience, make your own minds up.

Points of Clarification:
€20,000 deposited with RaboDirect on 1/1/07 until the 31/12/07 will return €847 before DIRT.

€20,000 deposited with Northern Rock on 1/1/07 until 31/12/07 will return €830 before DIRT.

You would of course earn approximately €43 more in interest over the year if you split the funds between 2 banks.

2. Digipass/Lodging funds
There is a recent extensive post on AAM about RaboDirect's security policy http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=43673&highlight=digipass. The use of the Digipass offers significantly higher levels of security than relying on the use of static passwords and PIN's which are used by the vast majority of banks in Ireland including Northern Rock. Please also see [broken link removed] for more information.

The Digipass is not required to lodge money into your RaboDirect account. This can be done in the same manner as you would make a lodgement to any third party bank, ie, via your main bank's telephone banking or internet service or branch. You can also post cheques to your RaboDirect account.

Regards,
RaboDirect

€20,000 deposited with RaboDirect on 1/1/07 until the 31/12/07 will return €847 before DIRT.

€20,000 deposited with Northern Rock on 1/1/07 until 31/12/07 will return €830 before DIRT.

At current interest rates, which neither bank are willing to guarantee should, for example, the ECB decide to lower its rate.

Points of Clarification:

€20,000 eh?
How about, say, €40,000? Who is better then?

If you're a cute hoor, put €10,000 in RaboDirect, the remainder in Nothern Rock.

The use of the Digipass offers significantly higher levels of security than relying on the use of static passwords and PIN's which are used by the vast majority of banks in Ireland including Northern Rock.

NIB offer an Actividentity Card option to all customers. AIB are currently [broken link removed] to business banking customers.

Such two-factor authentication is no longer recognised as the panacea for security problems. I doubt an account with a dongle is significantly more secure than one without. There is also the extra hassle of having to carry the dongle around, and the risk of delays if it has to be replaced due to loss or malfunction (as above.). None of that has stopped me using the above accounts though!

4.75% is the only saving rate that really beats inflation. You can put your money in and know that nothing bad will happen to it, unlike the world of equities and investments. I'm setting about putting the money in this week. I am sure if the digi thing gives trouble, people will make their voice heard and things will improve.

Back