Probate: what do I actually need a Solicitor for?

Where do you get the tax due as € 87,000?

If the estate is worth € 500,000 + € 100,00 = € 600,000 and is divided amongst the three children, then there is no CAT due (there is a tax-free threshold of € 335,000 per child and each child will be getting € 200,000
My hypothetical case is for one beneficiary. It's to illustrate how I feel.

I'd happily pay 87,000 euro to receive 513,000 euro - hard to imagine anyone who wouldn't

I'd happily pay 87,000 euro to receive 513,000 euro - hard to imagine anyone who wouldn't
Nobody is just receiving 513,000 in this example; they are paying 87k+ cold hard cash now to receive a property that might sell for 400k later.

You value the house for probate based on what it’s likely to sell for . If the house is likely to sell for €400k, that’s the value for probate . Where are you getting the idea that Revenue will impose a value on you ?

You value the house for probate based on what it’s likely to sell for . If the house is likely to sell for €400k, that’s the value for probate . Where are you getting the idea that Revenue will impose a value on you ?
Where did I get the idea? From a recent appeal I made to the Valuation Tribunal. And from correspondence I've seen from a previous probate: Revenue imposed an unrealistic figure which the solicitor accepted because their fee was based on the value of the estate.

The Valuation Tribunal compares similar businesses in an area to determine their revenue potential. If the best of those businesses achieves a certain annual revenue then they assume that all other businesses of a similar size in the same (very wide) area can also achieve the same revenue. They say explicitly that the potential of a business is the actual result of the best similar business. For instance, if pub X is wildly popular then pub Y will be just as popular if the business owner chooses to run it properly. If you have only two pubs in a market then where do you find the extra customers? People can only drink in one pub at a time. And if someone pays 400k this year there may be nobody left to pay 400k for a similar house next year.

A few years ago I dealt with my late mother's probate by way of an executor's personal application.
I found the Probate Office in Dublin to be exceptionally helpful.
There was a property element [house] in the estate so I subsequently instructed a solicitor to deal with the conveyancing - for safety !

Be aware that if it looks like there may be complications with the application the Probate Office has the right to terminate the personal application and direct the executor to proceed through a solicitor.
Did you need a solicitor for any oaths or affidavits to accompany the application? The courts website suggest so but when I rang the local probate office they didn't think so but they weren't sure.

It's not necessarily the case that a solicitor will get a grant of probate quicker than a personal applicant.
Once the grant is issued to the executor(s) they can proceed to administer, but as already stated in a previous post a solicitor will need to be instructed for the conveyance of a property.
It's not really a Convyance in the sense of a sale or purchase but an Assent. If the title is straightforward and especially if it's Registered with the Land Registry I'm sure the
personal applicant can find out the correct forms.

Did you need a solicitor for any oaths or affidavits to accompany the application? The courts website suggest so but when I rang the local probate office they didn't think so but they weren't sure.
You’ll need either a Solicitor or Commissioner for Oaths to witness the swearing of oath/affidavits.

Yes.

Unfortunately, the solicitor who executed the will made a slight typo in relation to date !.
I was directed to obtain an affidavit from the solicitor to verify one point arising from that.
I did so directly with the solicitor and at no cost. It caused a delay of about two weeks.

There is one affidavit required with the probate application namely that of an Inland Revenue affidavit - in duplicate I think.
My signature on that had to be witnessed / sworn by a solicitor. A local solicitor did it for me for €10 per signature.

Otherwise, it was all quite simple.

Back