Probate Granted - How long for An Post to release funds?

IsleOfMan

When probate has been granted, how long does it take for An Post to release monies to the executor?

They're not especially fast so 8-10 weeks would not be unusual.

mf

Update. Six weeks on and still no funds from date of request.

Apparently if Certificates are older than 6 months they have to be re-issued even though you have asked to cash them. They are actually re-issued with new account numbers. Interest is then calculated "manually" and double checked manually. They move between various departments. After about 6 weeks they are then sent for "keying". Don't know what this means. This can take another week. They then can take a further week before cheque issue.
Any letters that you send to them go in date order until such time as they can be dealt with. I understand that there is a queue of about 3 weeks for post to be opened at present.

I had to ring An Post about the delays in releasing funds of a relative. The person I spoke to who deals with the accounts of the deceased, spent her time telling me that they were only a small department and had to deal with "all of Ireland". When I told her the amount of the substantial balance in the An Post products she told me that they will have to check the interest calculations very carefully (hence part of the delay) because of the large amount involved.

Maybe they don't check the interest that carefully on accounts with lesser balances?

I thought that I was talking to someone from 1950's Ireland.

Why does it take An Post up to 3 months to release the funds of deceased account holders. There are immediate family members who might need this money.

Back