Pro Rata pension query

gilboy

My father is in receipt of 70% of the UK state pension. He is 65 and does not qualify for a contributory pension here in Ireland.

He is currently on jobseekers allowance here in Ireland. Is payment he receives here in Ireland is effectively a topup to the payment he receives from the UK to bring it up to the job seekers allowance here in Ireland.

My query is centered round how they handle the exchange rate. I have been told that the rate is adjusted every 3 months, 6 months, 12 months depending on who answers the phone when I ring dept of social welfare. From examining his payment statements on his jobseekers allowance, the rate they have been applying to his english earnings has not changed in over 6 months and the rate they are applying is nowhere near the exchange rate.

Thanks!

How near is he to 66 ? If he's close, he should apply for the Non-Contributory OAP here. He should then get a far better exchange rate then, plus of course , the freebies - phone rental, bus pass, tv licence and maybe fuel allowance. He should apply at least 3 months before he will be 66, as Welfare are snowed under with work at present.

Yes he will be 66 in September and have already submitted his application for the non-contr pension.

However, I do want to find out how they manage the exchange rate as outlined below. I have heard so many different answers, and I do believe for a prolonged period they were given him a rate which was nowhere near comparable with the exchange rate of the day. Hence, I want to determine definitively the rules they use before approaching them again about the rate he was been given

Back