Private residence used as a builder's yard.

Bigbutcher

Our neighbour 2 doors up in a private housing estate (North County Dublin), we are semi detached while his is a detached house.
He is a small builder and has been using the front garden as a builder's yard for years now. This means he always has a skip in the garden and brings waste / rubble from jobs he is doing elsewhere. The skip could be there for weeks before being filled and is always replaced with an empty one.

The front garden is also used as a builder's storage, scaffolding/wood/blocks/small digger etc.

Initially his company was registered at this house however this has now changed, the company is now registered elsewhere. He no longer lives in the house, it is now rented out, but is still used as a builder's yard.

Looking for suggestions on where I stand/what approach I could take to have this stopped.

I have tried the reasonable approach but he had no interest in discussing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and more than happy to answer any questions/give further clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does he have planning permission for commercial use? I suspect not. I suspect it would be necessary for such activity?

Thanks Jaymob75
It is now rented out, so this may make it a commercial premises, however it may not be registered as such. Where would I find this info?
Thanks

Thanks Jaymob75
It is now rented out, so this may make it a commercial premises, however it may niot be registered as such. Where would I find this info?
Thanks
Do a planning search in the Local Authority Planning Section. Possibly available online if you know the address and/or name of owner.

Do a planning search in the Local Authority Planning Section. Possibly available online if you know the address and/or name of owner.
Great, I will do that, yes, I have his name , address and company name.
Thanks for the help

Having a skip in your front garden might not necessarily meet the Council's requirements for it to be viewed as Commercial use. The fact that it's there near permanently would help but I wouldn't be massively confident of your success.

Having a skip in your front garden might not necessarily meet the Council's requirements for it to be viewed as Commercial use. The fact that it's there near permanently would help but I wouldn't be massively confident of your success.
Yeah, the storage of scaffolding, machinery etc. the OP mentioned would be required to confirm commercial usage.

There is also the issue that if he is using a private residence as a commercial premises he would be liable for business rates, so surely this might pique the interest of the council?

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I have emailed a local County Counceller with my points stressing the health and safety aspect. I understand that registering the company to that address is completely seperate to using the premises as a commercial premises.
I will pursue this under planning enforcement, environmental and health and safety headings. I will post any updates / outcomes but still happy to take any suggestions etc.

I have emailed a local County Counceller with my points stressing the health and safety aspect.
Your councillor may or may not take much interest, or know what to do with it. Emails sometimes get ignored too.

Better to write a letter to your county manager setting out your concerns, asking what the local authority's powers are, and what they intend to do about it.

You should consider the potential consequences of your actions if this chap (who sounds like a hard case) feels like you're informing on him and gets irked/ vengeful about it. These neighbour disputes can spiral badly.

You should consider the potential consequences of your actions if this chap (who sounds like a hard case) feels like you're informing on him and gets irked/ vengeful about it. These neighbour disputes can spiral badly.
The offender here doesn't live in the area so probably not a great concern.

Well I'm sure hes capable of driving there or sending someone around to even the score if he gets the hump. Theres a lot of headcases who dont like being told what to do in Dublin.

It may be a remote possibility but if it happens ia it worth the grief. Its better to think all the angles out before taking the formal/legal route as the OP is considering doing.

It may be a remote possibility but if it happens ia it worth the grief. Its better to think all the angles out before taking the formal/legal route as the OP is considering doing.
So just sit back and allow someone continue spoiling the area just in case of what might happen? There are hundreds of orders issued for such breaches every year. Incidents of the hit squad being sent round to sort a score are few and far between.

So just sit back and allow someone continue spoiling the area just in case of what might happen? There are hundreds of orders issued for such breaches every year. Incidents of the hit squad being sent round to sort a score are few and far between.
I think you're watching too much Love Hate etc there Leo - "hit squad" !

Its the smaller/ untraceable things to worry about like your car getting keyed or even worse the guy in question letting the house out to tenants who might be noisy etc.

I think you're watching too much Love Hate etc there Leo - "hit squad" !

Its the smaller/ untraceable things to worry about like your car getting keyed or even worse the guy in question letting the house out to tenants who might be noisy etc.
I think you might be if you think that retaliation is something that happens very often.

Back