Private Investigator/Maintenance & Court

erica

My Ex was court ordered the start of this year to pay weekly maintenance for our son. I have since received word from him that he is now "unemployed" and is therefore unable to pay this maintenance anymore.
I visted the court and have a new date for Decemeber to try get some money sorted. However I have evidence that he is working for himself, I informed the court clerk of this and she said they see this all the time and it's a way out of paying maintenance, she told me to get as much evidence as possible. I have been granted legal aid for 417euro, however before I spend this money on a solicitor. Is there any point in getting a private invesigator report to bring with me to court ?

Any advice on this would be great please? Is there a need for a solicitor if i have the evidence from the PI ? will the judge even bother looking at this evidence?

If you can prove that he is working and not telling the truth, then that will go against him. €417 won't go far in getting a private investigator report though. Don't post here, but are you aware of what he is actually doing? Have you any proof - adverts etc. Can you get someone he did work for to give evidence? How strong is your 'evidence'? Have you spoken with a solicitor?

Get a solicitor. Doesn't matter if he is not working.... or is... He has to meet the court order or apply for a variation.
Keep a track of every payment he has made and each payment he has missed. Hand this to your solicitor. The arrears are building for each week he misses. The judge will order him to repay the arrears in full. He is now in contempt of a court order. Have your solicitor request all his bank statements, tax clearance certs etc. Any evidence you may have of him working, get it (wouldn't bother paying a private investigator - you most likely will be able to get it yourself.)

Back