Private Car park..Damage

igora

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone advise me on the following incident... I rent a car parking space from a private individual on an annual basis. It is a relatively small car park with about 30 spaces (outdoor). It has electric gates and cctv on the gate area. Each " tenant's" name is on each space. This morning I parked in my space as usual at 8am - however when I returned this evening, I discovered my car had been scratched rather badly with a key or something similiar. It has affected the rear wing , two doors, front wing and the bonnet. It seems to be a respray job. I drive a BMW.

Does anyone know if I can claim against the carpark owner?. I have never signed a disclaimer, nor can I see a notice regarding same in the car park. This is my fourth year renting the space. I pay in advance for the year.

The cctv does not cover the area in which my car is parked.

All replies appreciated.

igora said:
Does anyone know if I can claim against the carpark owner?
Here's are more interesting question - Regardless of whether you can claim, do you think that you should claim? What do you this the owner did wrong?

I never did say I was going to claim, I just wondered what my legal position is. The reason I use this car park in the first place is for my own personal security and that of the car. I have the option of using a public parking area(free) but decided not to as the car would be far more vulnerable to damage in a busy area.

The car park is advertised as having secure electric gates, being floodlit and with cctv. The gates are frequently left open by people blocking the beam. This seems to be almost recognised as being okay with the owner. The camera coverage is inadequate.
I am far more concerned now that my own personal safety may be at risk, given the fact that I am a woman (shopowner) entering the car park alone not knowing who is in there.

Upto now I would know everyone who uses this area to park in as each space is identified by their name and I do live in a provincial small town.
I also am now facing a hefty bill for a couple of thousand euro.

I realise that I should have checked these details out before I paid my money. I have never claimed for anything in my life and will not now either..
However I would like my position clarified a bit without the awkwardness of approaching the landlord whom I know very well on a personal basis.

there is probably a disclaim sign in the car park or the managerment company have got the owner to sign a waiver

Back