privacy laws? do we have them?

kada_fd

hi all, i just have a question regarding privacy..

recently my facebook and email have been hacked by someone who has admitted to doing so. When my email was hacked this person also pretended to be me and had a conversation with one of my friends..

And now i have been recorded in audio whilst they were out of the house..by using a device stashed and left recording

i'm lost as to what to do..what can i do??
i do not like my privacy being invaded at all.
what is the law here about this?

Have you contacted the Gardai? These are serious offences and breach a number of pieces of legislation.

hi all, i just have a question regarding privacy..

recently my facebook and email have been hacked by someone who has admitted to doing so. When my email was hacked this person also pretended to be me and had a conversation with one of my friends..

And now i have been recorded in audio whilst they were out of the house..by using a device stashed and left recording

i'm lost as to what to do..what can i do??
i do not like my privacy being invaded at all.
what is the law here about this?

It sounds as though someone in your house accessed your Facebook page and 'fraped' you. Ditto with the email. Possibly, you left your FB and email open, so it falls back on you. Not sure how illegal it is but it is not illegal to tape someone without their consent but it is illegal to use this recording, as far as I know.

Hi, I didn't leave them open, my passwords to One were unknown, they guessed my secret questions to my email to gain access as they know me very well.
They also went through all my messages and had checked my purchase history online.

...but it is not illegal to tape someone without their consent but it is illegal to use this recording, as far as I know.

That's not true, and is why support phone lines tell you that calls may be recorded. From the Data Protection Commissioner:

Voice recordings are personal data under the Data Protection Acts. The recording of such calls – whether of customers or employees – needs to be made known to the individuals concerned.

They also cover secret recordings:
The use of recording mechanisms to obtain data without an individual's knowledge is generally unlawful. Covert surveillance is normally only permitted on a case by case basis where the data are kept for the purposes of preventing, detecting or investigating offences, or apprehending or prosecuting offenders. This provision automatically implies an actual involvement of An Garda Síochána or an intention to involve An Garda Síochána.

Back