Prioritising Non Irish Tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Barrett

Some of you may have read the saga I went through to rid myself of an aggressive tenant which finally required me to pay the tenant Euro 10,000 to leave.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/removal-of-aggressive-tenant.198639/

I now find myself discriminating against all Irish Applicants as I find the idea of having an Irish tenant in my property as undesirable. The great advantage of non-Irish tenants is that they are usually less aware of the utter lack of legal protection Landlords receive here and are not as well placed to take advantage of the completely biased legislation designed to hurt Landlords. Just wondering if any other Landlords are steering away from Irish tenants. In my view, the new Landlord / Tenants legislation designed to fix the rental sector has actually perverted the whole process.

It is probably illegal and certainly unwise to advertise the fact, especially if you are posting in your real name.

In the volatile world of Cyberspace - only a fool uses their real name. Anyway, things are not yet so warped in society that an internal thought process preferring one candidate over another could be considered illegal. Although, maybe some day, we will have the "thought Police" knocking down our doors. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181689/

There are good tenants and there are bad tenants, nationality shouldn't be a factor in choosing tenants, I believe that would be a form of discrimination/racism

Surely, it would only be racism if this criteria was stipulated in the Advertisement of the property. My experience with Irish (my own race) tenants is that they are in a position to cause you real damage and that there are a percentage of them that use the distorted legislation to avoid paying rent and break other laws simply because the PRTB only polices Landlords and they know this. Foreign tenants are much less likely to do this because of lack of knowledge and being in a new country.

I think you are fooling yourself Mark.

I have personal experience of non-national tenants trying to "shake down" inexperienced landlords that didn't take the time to understand the relevant legislation.

And, yes, it is illegal to discriminate against anybody in providing any service on the grounds of race.

In my experience, foreign tenants are more likely to cause more wear and tear. They're there most of the year as going home may be just an occassional journey and they are more likely to 'stack em high' especially in high rental demand areas such as Dublin.

Did it myself when I lived in the US and Oz...we had over a dozen people in a 3 bed apt in Sydney at one stage.

The legality seems to me to be ambiguous. How can an internal mental private thought process that results in a decision be policed. Surely, it must be overt to be illegal?

There is nothing ambiguous about it - the equal status act is very clear that discriminating against anybody on the grounds of race is illegal.

The law obviously doesn't regulate our private thoughts if that's your point.

The legality seems to me to be ambiguous. How can an internal mental private thought process that results in a decision be policed. Surely, it must be overt to be illegal?

Your
internal mental private thought process.....

Yesterday at 9:25pm became a

External and PUBLIC thought process.

Nobody is going to police your thought processes until you voice them.
Every landlord when vetting tenants will internally consider a multitude of factors based on past experiences, but it would be unwise to "publically" advertise one so blatantly discriminatry.

Mark, Now would be a good time to stop and think about what you are actually saying here :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back