Priorities and decision on Rental property

dave2015

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 37

Annual gross income from employment or profession:
Annual gross income of spouse:
Rental income 1.3k gross (approx 800 net)

Monthly take-home pay :without disclosing exact both well paid and all in we should be saving 3k p/m at conservative level.

Type of employment: Me private, wife public

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving-as above

Rough estimate of value of home 600k
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 315k
What interest rate are you paying? 2.6% fixed with UB

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
Rental property on tracker mortgage roughly 205k conservatively say worth 250k, probably a bit higher

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Savings and investments: 18k in rainy day account. 10k in ready access

Do you have a pension scheme? 330k approx in dc scheme. I'm maxing contribution for age bracket since last year. Again not sure on public side but assume reasonable.

Do you own any investment or other property? Yes as above

Ages of children: 3 & 1

Life insurance: usual House plus 150k serious illness cover. Both have death in service, mine 4 yrs. not 100% sure on public, think 1 years plus you get a pension payment( anyone know if that kicks in on death or at pension age?)

Main short term decision is investment property and whether to sell. Long term tenants (10yrs) emigrating in October. Always had in mind I'd sell and be done with it, pay chunk of Ppr mortgage. Part of that was on assumption I'd have to spend significant amounts on repairs soon (House built in 07) and part I was spoilt with good tenants and part hassle of accidental landlord. In last 6 months have had to replace boiler and most of white goods so that fear was realised too soon. And on tenants given shortage I'm assuming I'd be able to be picky with who I rent to in future.

As there is 10% annual limit on overpaying mortgage I'd be reasonably confident I could do that over remaining fixed term (mid 2022 I think) without needing to sell. So if I sold I may not have use for it(do know I could break for low
Or zero cost but not sure I want to give up rate).

Possible obstacle to that is wife may take career break or at least go part time for next few years. Still think we should manage comfortably and overpay mortgage regularly particularly if discretionary bonus is maintained (not guaranteed).

So we don't need to sell and all things being equal would imagine we'd have pretty small ppr mortgage in 10 years time without selling. On that basis is it better to keep investment property and have that income stream for future (or if other factors required sale in between) rather than cash in now and then not have obvious use except to look for other investment opportunity. House is within 10km of ppr too and on good transport network so possible option for children if they wanted through college and beyond.

Any other info needed?
Anything else should consider?

Thanks for feedback

Last edited:
Hi Dave

In general, it looks like you're in great shape financially for your age. Well done!

The question as to whether you should retain or sell your rental in order to pay down your PPR mortgage looks like a very fine call on the face of it.

A few quick questions:-
  • What's the tracker margin?
  • When you say rental income of approximately €800 net p.m. - is that net of expenses and tax?
  • Roughly when did you fix your PPR mortgage?

Tracker +1.1%
Fixed expiry march 2022 (started sept 2017)
Rental profit- sorry was talking cash flow, get 1.3k in and pay 500 to revenue monthly.
Actual profit is approx 15.6k income,2.5k interest, expenses etc 2k, tax 5.5k.

Thanks.

On the basis of those figures, I think I would hang on to the rental for the time being if I was in your shoes.

If you cashed out the equity in the rental and applied it against the PPR mortgage that would save you €1,300 in interest payments (I'm assuming the break fee would be trivial) next year. However, your projected net, after-tax, profit on the rental next year is €5,600.

Running a property rental business is certainly not risk free but I think you are being fairly compensated for those risks. You also clearly have adequate cash flow to comfortably meet your living expenses and to max out your pension contributions.

I suspect the property would sell for less today than you originally paid for it in 2007. Any capital appreciation up to the original purchase price could be realised without any CGT liability.

However, I wouldn't treat this as a one off decision - as you pay down the tracker and/or the property rises in value you may well find that the calculation looks very different.

Hope that helps.

Sorry if I missed this, but the first question on my mind is if the tenants are moving out in October by how much can you increase the rent by !!!!
If you’re in a rent pressure zone I guess the limit is 4% unless you make major cosmetic (brand new kettle )or structural changes which would justify a greater increase in rent.

Thanks Sarenco, appreciate your view, I had veered that direction on it and yes CGT is in back of my mind, little way to go, paid 290. Its really this forum that has focused my mind on mortgage repayment and maxing pension contribution versus my natural instinct to try invest elsewhere and attain bigger returns with cash. Unrealistic given I have no expertise! I have a few euro in DeGiro which ill use more as hobby to try and upskill a little and maybe try hand at it when the basics are looked after.

@landlord. yes in rent zone but luckily got in reasonable increase just before announced so i'm happy with 4%, its fair enough for the area. If I get that and good tenants ill be very happy.

Back