Priming and painting a bare wood door

Calimero242

Hi,

i finished priming old bare wood doors with Zinsser BIN. I am concerned that the coverage is not uniform and I can still see the wood color behind the primer. Should I prime another coat or is it ok to go ahead and paint direclty ?
Thanks! Eric

i used the Blue 123 on 2 dors. After realizing it was not the best, i bought the red (BIN).. I am now priming a second thin coat on all doors and frames. Prep was sanding and cleaning. Top coat will be with Color trend eggshell

Cleaning with sugar soap? If the doors are old there could be decades of grime overlaying the wood. The shellac (Blue) version can be very difficult to work with. Sanding back the Blue and repriming with Red sounds like a plan. With that top-coat (or similar colour) the door finishes will live or die by the cleaning and prep. Best of luck. I hate painting!!!!

cheers for the recommendation. Blue 123 is not ideal alright but I had already primed 2 doors with it. So i just just added a 2nd coat and it seems alright for now. .. time will tell.

Back