Prime Time - Boom to Bust - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Prime Time - Boom to Bust

What are the odds on VI spin tomorrow including any or a combination of the following

- the programme was irresponsible .... or some other lets rubbish the programme statement
- we are talking down the economy ... these people are traitors to the VI cause
- we have seen alot of buyer interest in recent weeks as affordability improves. Viewing figures are up.
- We are concerned about a lack of supply in the second half of the year as sellers are holding back. This will drive up prices
- The markets are factoring in at least one rate reduction before the end of the year !!!!
- Employment growth is still strong

Better put away my new copy of Gran Theft Auto IV for 9.30, christ its addictive

Is it really possible to 'talk up' or 'talk down' an economy? If this was possible then surely the Japanese would have tried it at some point in the last 15 years.

Is it not more likely that euphoria catches on as the economy grows, and pessimism catches on as the economy slows? Thus the reporting is just that - reporting, and to report 'good times' when the economy is in trouble would be tantamount to reporting lies.

We need the truth to be reported to us, so we don't get screwed with more rounds of benchmarking or pay rises for politicians or the likes. We need the truth so as we can work to manage the truth.

Anyone who wants delusion can take the blue pill and stay plugged in to the matrix.

its obvious here that most people dont even know what a recession is. a recession is two quarters of negative gdp growth, we are not even near having one quarter of negative gdp. obviously the economy is slowing down, thats like. the world economy is made up of boom and bust cycles, nothing you or i can do about it. unemplyment is still very low in this country. the people that will be most affected are the people who all went doing trades instead of college cos they could get 1000 a week and extra for working saturday. they have had their day in the sun the same way that IT contractors had it in 2000/2001 , now they need to retrain and do something else. most of these people didnt have any real interest in trades , they just joined up for the easy money. in all fairness when you see a block layer earning 1500 a week then something is wrong

also mcwilliams is only having a doom and gloom opinion because thats what the media want to tell the public, bad news sells. good news doesnt. so this is the only reason why he is pessimistic

obviously the economy is slowing down

See even someone like you who clearly knows the score fell into the trap...the economy is not 'slowing down'. The rate of growth is slowing, which given the credit crisis and oil situation is quite impressive. To other posters of course you can talk yourself into a recession. Doom and gloom makes people wary about spending money which brings about lower retail figures etc.

We CAN stave off economic difficulty by being positive. Take that holiday, buy that house, buy that car.

On credit?

That really worked for the US! And now their economy is like a junkie hooked on cheap credit. Its dependence on cheap money is such that even a modest interest rate of 4% is too much for the economy to cope with.

Money makes the world go round, lets spend our way out of trouble....to Dundrum I say :D

I for one look forward to RTE, DMcW, Dan McL et all making up my mind for me. All this "making up your own mind" malarky is way too stressful and hard.

also mcwilliams is only having a doom and gloom opinion because thats what the media want to tell the public, bad news sells. good news doesnt. so this is the only reason why he is pessimistic
Somebody should have told Mark Coleman before he wrote that "Best is yet to come" book.

See even someone like you who clearly knows the score fell into the trap...the economy is not 'slowing down'. The rate of growth is slowing, which given the credit crisis and oil situation is quite impressive.
Countries have "potential" growth rates that they should be achieving based upon the demographics of their population (a population with lots of people of working age compared to OAPs should "grow" it's economy quite substantially YOY) and the rate of growth of the population (more people = more potential for jobs and consumer spending). Ireland should have growth of ~3 - 4%, USA ~2% Germany maybe 1%. Anything less than that is a recession as you're growing less than you should.

thats what i meant - growth is slowing

On credit?

That really worked for the US! And now their economy is like a junkie hooked on cheap credit. Its dependence on cheap money is such that even a modest interest rate of 4% is too much for the economy to cope with.

I never mentioned credit...this is a subconscious thing. I'm positive about the future but even I'm being more cautious which in itself will harm the economy.

Where's the growth, we are already in a recession. The talk about 2 quarters of negative is claptrap. Construction is in recession, manufacturing is in recession and the services sector is in recession according to the latest PMI's in these sectors. Where is the growth, possibly agriculture. This years tax take is down on the same months last year. Get your heads out of the sand and face facts. Boom Boom and Bust....

becky - if ireland was in a recession you would know it, believe me. emtpy bars and restuarants. no new cars on the road etc

I for one look forward to RTE, DMcW, Dan McL et all making up my mind for me. All this "making up your own mind" malarky is way too stressful and hard.

I'm looking forward to it tonight (thank god its not clashing with the apprentice :D) also and have to agree with you on this making up you own mind business it is very hard.

I never mentioned credit...this is a subconscious thing. I'm positive about the future but even I'm being more cautious which in itself will harm the economy.

Credit lending in Ireland has started to slump and it is no coincidence that consumer spending and the economy has slowed at the same time. I think it is fair to draw the conclusion that much of our past economic growth has been funded by borrowing and not increased productivity.... but maybe that is only a subconscious thing. :)

becky - if ireland was in a recession you would know it, believe me. emtpy bars and restuarants. no new cars on the road etc

If I said we were in recession apologies I didn't mean it.

I meant it was 'slowing down/not growing as fast'....or can I say showing recession tendencies?;)

See even someone like you who clearly knows the score fell into the trap...the economy is not 'slowing down'. The rate of growth is slowing, which given the credit crisis and oil situation is quite impressive. To other posters of course you can talk yourself into a recession. Doom and gloom makes people wary about spending money which brings about lower retail figures etc.

Right, so the value of my pension fund is down 20% in the last 12 monthw, as is the value of my house - and I should just stick my head in the sand and indulge in a little retail therapy to make myself feel better? Such rubbish - of course I am going to tighten the belt and put off buying a new bicycle.

your pension fund will recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back