Prime Time affecting property values

Joe Nonety

Do you think last night's Prime Time investigation into anti-social behaviour will have an affect on property prices in the areas mentioned such as Kilrush, Tipperary, Drogheda and Glanmire even outside of the estates in question?

I imagine it might. Limerick has been getting negative publicity for many years now. Has the price of property in Limerick been negatively effected?

aj

I doubt that the programme will have much of an impact on property prices. People will forget about it soon enough. On the other hand if people research the area/estate in which they are looking and find out that there are problems such as those raised in the programme then presumably that would affect prices in specific estates/areas.

I doubt it will have any affect at all. All those towns were always dumps

If you drive past any estate and see houses boarded up then you would be a fool to buy a house there.
It does not take a big expose on prime time.

I think what they were attempting to do on Prime time was to show that anti-social behaviour is a problem in areas we wouldn't normally consider such as Glanmire.

JaneyL said:
I doubt it will have any affect at all. All those towns were always dumps

JaneyL that's a very general comment about a host of different areas.

I live in Glanmire and would no more describe it as a "dump" !! Have you ever been there ????? Undoubtedly there are one or two "bad" pockets / estates but on the whole it is a lovely area to live in - the Communnity area group have done huge work in sprucing it up recently and I can categorically state for a fact that the pictures of bottles on the ground was over 6 months old as I was one of the volunteers involved in cleaning that up !! And it has stayed clean ever since..............

On the whole I thought that the programme was very one-sided, there is always 2 sides to every tale - the reality is that these problem pockets have always existed and while things in certain areas are obviously gettting out of hand, I don't think Glanmire is one of these but it was interesting to note that there are 4 LESS gardai in glanmire now that the population has exploded. I seriously doubt it will impact house prices in Glanmire - I didn't see any of the new estates in Glyntown/Dunkettle advertising new 'lower' prices !

These programmes are ALWAYS very one-sided; That's what makes them sensational and worthy of Prime Time. For example, in the last few years the media has given the impression that Limerick is like the wild west, where no one is safe on the streets and everyone has a knife and wants to stab you. Every incident in Limerick is mentioned on the television news while similar events anywhere else are ignored. RTE has a programme called a Tale of two Cities where 95% of the coverage was negative and anything good was completely ignored. Other towns/cities are now getting the same broad brush treatment and they don't like it. Outside the Pale, it seems it's the Dublin media versus the rest of us.....:rolleyes:

I think many people were surprised that Limerick did not feature on the Prime Time special.

Limerick wasn't mentioned due the fact that it is now way past anti social behaviour!!

I live in Drogheda in a lovely estage, and one of the reasons why I bought there is because that’s the nearest estate to Dublin (and on commuter line) that has the class and looks of estates in Castleknock Village or Foxrock etc. My point is that there are bad estates and good estates in any town or city, and its expected of the buyer to have the common sense avoid bad estates.

As far as I am concerned, there is a lot going for Drogheda at the moment and the town is rapidly growing, and though its still catching up on services and facilities as a town of that size, its catching up really fast.

I personally am not worried about prices going down there, outside the national trend.

Do you think last night's Prime Time investigation into anti-social behaviour will have an affect on property prices in the areas mentioned such as Kilrush, Tipperary, Drogheda and Glanmire even outside of the estates in question?

Drogheda was'nt featured.. , its was Muirhevna Mor in Dundalk, which has been plagued with anti social behaviour for 20 years, certainly has'nt effecting house prices in neighbouring estates or in Dundalk.
Just dont walk through muirhenva mor late at night .....:eek:

Outside the Pale, it seems it's the Dublin media versus the rest of us.....:rolleyes:
... the predominant estate featured was in Coolock, Dublin

All the featured areas shown had social housing, health board housing plus shared ownership and then some private dwellings. It only re enforced my opinion about living or investing within an area that contains any of the first three. Don’t do it.

They could have run this programme all night; we have so many bad areas in Dublin. But also up and coming areas around the Country that make Coolock look like a playground.
For me Drogheda, Dundalk, Balbriggan are total dumps, but not on par with Finglas, Mulhuddart or Tallaght just yet.
If you really look at a map of Dublin and study each area, you would see that we do not have that many desirable areas.
But the root cause of the problem is not to just put more Gardai on the ground, it needs to be zero tolerance and policies that involves the community. With the upsurge of the Celtic Tiger (for some) and the breakdown of community's and religion in this country it’s no wonder we have an increasing crime rate. We need to study crime and Anti Social Behaviour, we need tougher policing, stricter penalties, but if so we will need more prisons. Countries that have shown a reduction in crime rates have seen a high increase in the % of interns within their prisons, so are we prepared to pay for this?

90210 said:
But the root cause of the problem is not to just put more Gardai on the ground, it needs to be zero tolerance and policies that involves the community.
One notable issue mentioned in the programme is that in many cases where "anti-social" behaviour was occurring or prevalent few if any of the neighbours (most notably the families of the culprits involved) came to the assistance of the individuals of families who were targeted.

90210 said:
All the featured areas shown had social housing, health board housing plus shared ownership and then some private dwellings. It only re enforced my opinion about living or investing within an area that contains any of the first three. Don’t do it.
How do you conclude that the anti-social behavour comes from the first 3 (social housing, health board housing plus shared ownership) and not the 4th (private)?

Perhaps if your house has cost you a lot of money you would not want to rundown the area so as to reduce the value of your house.
Mind you they seemed to suggest that the problems were caused in the main by young people with nothing better to do than drink and cause trouble and that they came from every kind of back ground not just from socially deprived backgrounds.

RainyDay said:
How do you conclude that the anti-social behavour comes from the first 3 (social housing, health board housing plus shared ownership) and not the 4th (private)?
I thought that one specific point of the programme was that anti-social behaviour was happening even in private developments with private owner occupiers?

It sadens me to again see Limerick mentioned in such context.

Prem .76 - what do you know about Limerick ?
Not much I'd say.
You go as far as creating a new profile in order to amuse yourself by throwing some petty dig about a place that you know nothing about.
You're not really as anonymous as you may think.

You feel it's "gone far past antisocial behaviour" - back that statement up with hard cold facts.........................

Rest assured that if Limerick had a higher level of anti-social behaviour than the other locations on that show, that it would have been the first and last location mentioned on that show, it would have been all over the Sunday rags, & Paul Williams would be in easons right now signing copies of his latest cack adventure.

Dont always believe what you see & hear in the so called media !!

For me Drogheda, Dundalk, Balbriggan are total dumps, but not on par with Finglas, Mulhuddart or Tallaght just yet.
thats a ridiculous statement, how can you compare large urban towns, in particular Dundalk and Drogheda being two of the largest outside Dublin in the north east, with Dublin suburbs.

Can people please stick to reasonble discussion of the topic in hand and not Letting Off Steam style rants about specific areas otherwise the thread will be closed.

Back