Primary Teaching as a late vocation

I full agree with above points, and I also think you are going to frustrate the life out of yourself trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. To be even contemplating at this short stage of employment looking for time off with career breaks, this break/that brake is actually ridiculous. Its not going to get better, you just have to adjust or not to the workings environment. If you cant adjust, then for heavens sake,for your own health, get back to where you can make things happen.
Most people you come across would love to have a different job, grass is always greener approach.. You have responsibilities now, you will be putting some pressure on you other half, who no doubt is showing you her full support. But, while all this is going on, you have a family to support.

Not meaning to sound harsh,but you need to wise up before it is too late.

I think SCurry has decided to try and make his CS job work. He is there only a few weeks and needs time to adjust. From where I sit, a job is an end to a means, nothing else. I get sick of people advising "love your job and you will never work a day in your life." Let's face it, Paddy-the-Barman working crazy hours into the early mornings week after week would find it difficult to enjoy his existence. Does that Eastern European girl enjoy standing behind a Lotto machine for hours on end? Does that wannabe fulltime artist enjoy being a doctor? Would that financial advisor be better off driving a bus?

Work is important (don't get me wrong!) and value for money must be given. But, get caught up in that rat race and you are dicing with your sanity. SCurry has his priorities right and seems to have exited the rat race. The rats that are left should have more worries than SCurry.

Hi SCurry

This is probably too late now but I thought I'd reply anyway.

My partner went back to do a postgrad in primary teaching at the age of 33. Fast forward 6 years and he's qualified but finding it difficult to get employment. The uncertainty at an older age is really horrible, and whereas others starting out can afford to be job hunting for 5/6 summers, it's very demoralising for him especially as we'd like to figure out where to put down roots and settle down!

Sorry things didn't work out for you, but maybe don't consider it as a lost opportunity as he certainly didn't realise it would be this difficult and probably wishes he stayed in his private sector job!

Entrance requirements can be tough too so check that for starters, I thought I'd walk into teaching a few years ago but didn't get past entry requirements,as a 30 year old male, with BSc (Chemistry and Physics)and MSc (extra CAO points for postgrad qualifications), All-Ireland medals and lots of sporting calibre, I didn't get a look in. Furthermore, trying to get onto a 'panel' for a fulltime teaching position is far from easy. That said, go for it, but with your eyes wide open, at 33 you're still only a pup and with lots to contribute before retirement at 70.

Entrance requirements can be tough too so check that for starters, I thought I'd walk into teaching a few years ago but didn't get past entry requirements,as a 30 year old male, with BSc (Chemistry and Physics)and MSc (extra CAO points for postgrad qualifications), All-Ireland medals and lots of sporting calibre, I didn't get a look in. Furthermore, trying to get onto a 'panel' for a fulltime teaching position is far from easy. That said, go for it, but with your eyes wide open, at 33 you're still only a pup and with lots to contribute before retirement at 70.
What entrance requirements did you not meet?

Does one still need a grade C or higher in honors Irish to get into primary teaching in Ireland? I ask because i've been told yes, you do

Hi Frank. I am still in the CS. In the end I had to give up on the teaching as it wasn't going to be worth it between loss of earnings and the overall stress it would cause for me and my wife (plus young kids). She was supportive in fairness but she and my kids would be deprived and we'd be under financial pressure in order for me to follow a career dream of sorts. In the end I couldn't do it and so have knuckled down with my CS job. I realise I am fortunate to have this as an EO and sometimes one just has to look at what they do have instead of what they don't.

Back