Priests fee for christening

ANC

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the priests fee for a christening would be roughly (in Dublin)?

Do you have to pay anyone else in the church (eg. sacristan, mass servers etc like for a wedding)?

I think it is up to the individuals involved as there is no set fee.
There won't be anyone else directly involved in the Christening other than the priest so I would reserve payment for him alone.
We gave 150 euro to our Priest, for which we received a very nice thank you letter.

its entirely up to yourself, the money is supposed to be for the church not the priest! It also depends on how wel you know the priest and how nice he makes the christening. My brother gave €200 the mass was lovely and so was the priest (we know him yrs!)

we paid €200 to the priest for our wedding last year (and also paid the sacristan & mass servers).
I would have thought that as a wedding is much more of an accasion you would be paying a lot more for it.
Also the christening is being shared with two other families so i would have thought that would mean paying the priest a lesser amount?

It is up to yourself pay whatever you feel comfortable paying, or pay nothing if you choose, you do not have to pay at all.

Is it normal to pay for a christening ? I have never heard (or thought) of this. Is this the case for private (i.e. just the one child) type of christenings or would the same be expected for group christenings where there are multiple families having children (or adults) christened? We have just booked a date for our new addition's christening but I never even thought of this !

Group christenings should bring economies of scale alright. But didn't This post will be deleted if not edited immediately have some problem with financial transactions in the church (well, synagogue) at one stage?

you couldn't have it withougt a priest so i think you should give him something, after all he does show up for the half hour, stand for photos etc. I also think if you are having a meal after that he should be invited - 9/10 times they don't go anyhow but just to say thank you. However it all depends on teh priest and if he gives a nice sermon as to how much you part with.

You do not have to pay, if you chose to then do so and give wht ever you feel comfortable giving. If you feel comfortable giving nothing then do so. A priest will perform a christening with or without payment.

I wouldn't invite the priest for family celebration (wedding, christening, etc), unless priest is a family member or friend.
As for paying for the Christening, I guess that's up to you. Maybe pay something towards the decoration of the church if you want it to look nice.

To answer the question i would say €50-€100 would be plenty and most appreciated.

The answer is nothing or €xxxx-let's have people say how much (if anything) they gave the priest for performing a christening ceremony.

Opinions about vulgarity etc. should be kept for Letting Off Steam.

Thanks.

In my parish there was a pre-christening evening where the sacrament was explained by lay Parish members . The question of the priest donation came up and the consensus was about 50 euro. We shared ceremony with another family

Back