price of film

Re: re

It's completely unjustifiable to double your prices while giving less product. It's not on at all.

Why? Its not illegal. People are not compelled to buy the product. Even if the retailer is simply being greedy, they are well within their rights, in a competitive market, to be so. After all, we are all capitalists.

Why? Its not illegal. People are not compelled to buy the product. Even if the retailer is simply being greedy, they are well within their rights, in a competitive market, to be so. After all, we are all capitalists.

Tommy, this is the crux of the argument behind "rip off Ireland".

This is why so many people harp on about it.

I can see their point. It's not simply a matter of saying well you don't have to buy it.
He didn't actually. He refused to buy it. That doesn't mean it's not a rip-off.

If your employer offered to double your salary and give you more time off, would you accept?

If your employer offered to double your salary and give you more time off, would you accept?

That's an erroneous argument. We're talking about goods offered to consumers.

My (any) employer would only offer to double my salary and give me more time off if 1) I was doing such a fantastic job he thought I was worth the extra money or 2) he had lost his marbles.

I'd hope it was because of option 1...but I'm not picky.

There is no difference. The cost of all wages (even those not directly employed by a manufacturer) are ultimately paid for by the sale to consumers of goods or services.

As you see fit

A bit of a spurious metaphor don't you think?

A better example would be, if you offered to work 4 days a week for twice the salary, would any employer agree to it. Very unlikely.

Nobody is forced to buy these products, but a purchase doesn't have to be compulsory for it to be a rip-off.

If someone comes on here and warns people that product X is a rip-off, and people decide not to buy it, great.

I don't see the point of castigating people who point out rip-offs and saying "no-one's forcing you to buy it, quite your moaning".

People post here so that in addition to avoiding being ripped off themselves they can point out the rip-off to others. We should encourage more of that.

HMV's infamous 2 for 1 offer is a classic example. Huge price disparity in the market. Healty Competition? perhaps. But HMV doubled their prices before the 2 for 1 offer, so they were ripping off the customers. Just because you could go to another shop didn't mean the HMV offer wasn't a con and a rip-off. And the existence of cheaper DVD's elsewhere did not mean that people shouldn't complain about HMV.

-Rd

Re: As you see fit

Its not a spurious metaphor.

Employers are well able to shop around the job market when looking for employees. However each employee basically sets out their desired remuneration package when applying for a job or looking for a pay rise. The employer is free to accept or reject as they see fit. Sometimes an employer will pay over the odds for the sake of convenience. Sometimes they will get a bargain if the employee underprices themselves.

The market for consumer goods operates on the same economic basis. Can you spot a difference?

As for HMV, they are hardly a case of "ripoff Ireland" as they are a UK company (with the same business practices over there), and their Irish competitors generally offer much better value. If people are foolish enough to shop there, that's their own fault. Ditto if they pay €100 in BT for a shirt that Arnotts have for €50. Of course people are correct to highlight the price disparities but this "ripoff Ireland" generalisation is usually, imho, a load of bull.

CD's DVD's etc are much cheaper in the UK, even at HMV.
Even with the exchange rate being the way it is.

but this "ripoff Ireland" generalisation is usually, imho, a load of bull.

You need to get out more. That €100 shirt that you can get for €50 in Arnott's, would cost you €25 in London.

Argos charge up to 30% more in the Republic as compared with the UK. I agree with you though, it's the consumer's fault. Someone will buy that 2 seater sofa I say for €1700.

-Rd

As someone who visits Northern Ireland at least once a month and who has been shopping in Great Britian three times in the past year, I can tell you that your "grass is greener over there" scenario isnt as real as you make out.

Have you heard of ?

I can tell you that your "grass is greener over there" scenario isnt as real as you make out.

We must have a different shopping basket. I was in England the week before last and things felt cheap compared to Dublin. It varies of course and the locals do complain about prices there too.

I'll hopefully have some UK people here during the Summer and I'll let you know their impression of Dublin. That's the only fair comparison.

Keep in mind that the exchange rate should work in Dublin's favour in this little experiment. I should have found the UK to be very expensive after converting back to EUR.

-Rd

Of course many things will be dearer in Dublin than in London but that doesn't in itself imply a ripoff - for the following reasons:

(1) a disproportionate level of products sold here either originate in the UK or are sourced by UK distributors. Because the UK is not in the Eurozone, there is an added exchange risk.

(2) The standard VAT rate here is 21% compared to 17.5% in the UK. This affects the price of everything, even exempted goods such as food, as VAT is an overhead for food producers.

(3) With 4 million people in our little country, suppliers and retailers here can never achieve the same economies of scale here as their counterparts do in the UK.

(4) For the same reason as (3), the overall tax burden on businesses operating here (including all indirect & stealth taxes) will be higher than in the UK.

(5) Some things will inevitably be cheaper and some dearer when comparing any two countries. For example, I have found while shopping in the UK that while there are bargains, some things will almost always be dearer than at home - pub or cafe lunches, petrol, cornershop groceries, public transport for example. I very much doubt if the cost of living in London or Hull is any less than in Dublin or Waterford respectively.

(6)Things often look cheaper in the UK than at home because a price quoted in £ sterling will be a smaller number than its equivalent in euro. (€16 looks a lot dearer than £10).

cheap film

"Tell us where exactly you get your quality 35mm film so reasonably priced?"

Sorry for the delay ISO, if you haven't been scared off by all the blahblahblah going on (EUR1.05 for ISO 200, EUR1.38 for the 400, it's been a year since my last batch from them)

intellectual services

-----------------
How do you set prices for your own product/service? The rip-off always seems to be in the eyes of the beholder.
-----------------

Isn't there a kind of 'going rate' for a lot of services which rely on knowlege - lawyers, accountants, GPs etc? They as a group decide what sort of salary they should be on and *then* factor in overheads. There seem to be undefined upper and lower limits. If I think my services/profession entitles me to an annual salary of eh, 70 grand and then I take an office in say Drimnagh, I'll charge less than if I had on office on Merrion Sq.

Bit off topic, but would be interested to hear views.

intellectual services

Are you sure that you meant to post that here? Anyway...

> Isn't there a kind of 'going rate' for a lot of services which rely on knowlege - lawyers, accountants, GPs etc?

These Competition Authority studies might be of interest to you so:

[broken link removed]

Back