Previous owner left rubbish in house

milly123

Hi,

We purchased a house a couple of weeks ago and were disgusted to find that the attic is FULL of rubbish (i.e. old clothes, books, furniture etc.) from the previous owners. I'm waiting to hear from them as to what they intend to do about i.e. pay for a skip. I must admit I am tempted to get a lorry and dump it all in their front garden as they still live locally.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Milly

You purchased a house without looking in the Attic?

Yeah foolish I know, i mean we had a surveyor in to do a full structural survey but we didn't check it ourselves.

Any suggestion on where to go from here ?

Get on to your solicitor. You're entitled to get the house without any pre-arranged non-fixings. He should sort this for you.

Thanks Elcato, Do you think he can be forced to sort it out by my solicitor?

Also, I wonder can I still be done for littering if i dump his rubbish on his property ?

If you know them, why don't you approach them directly and see what their response is. They might simply be embarrassed and arrange to get rid of it.

Do you think he can be forced to sort it out by my solicitor?

Well the solicitor can try - but frankly, is this not just another lesson learned? Ideally, you should have done a pre-closing inspection, that would have shown this and you would have had leverage - i.e. refuse to close until rubbish moved or you were given a deduction for the cost of getting the rubbish removed.

My view is that house moves have just become so fraught, people do not behave well when under pressure and the old adage of "do unto others......" seems to have gone out the window. I now find it unusual for people to be pleasant and co-operative.

Also, I wonder can I still be done for littering if i dump his rubbish on his property ?

Absolutely. Don't even think about doing this. It is a very childish idea.

mf

thanks for all the replies. I will try to contact him directly and see what the response is - will let you know how we get on.

mf1 said:
Do you think he can be forced to sort it out by my solicitor?

Well the solicitor can try - but frankly, is this not just another lesson learned? Ideally, you should have done a pre-closing inspection, that would have shown this and you would have had leverage - i.e. refuse to close until rubbish moved or you were given a deduction for the cost of getting the rubbish removed.

My view is that house moves have just become so fraught, people do not behave well when under pressure and the old adage of "do unto others......" seems to have gone out the window. I now find it unusual for people to be pleasant and co-operative.

Absolutely. Don't even think about doing this. It is a very childish idea.

mf

When I sold my house a couple of weeks ago, the purchasers did an pre-closing inspection too. It looks like you've paid for the house and its contents.

we moved into a house in december. only to find when we arrived that they had left cloths everywhere, toys in garden, rubbish, a bin full of bricks that the bin company wound not remove and is still at the side of the house, and loads of other crap, Our solicitor contacted theirs and told them to get the stuff out of the house, they can and took all the cloths and toys two days later, anything else that was left I dumped on the skip that was also left outside the house,
Its your home now so if you want to dump the stuff go ahead, they had a cheek in leaving it in the first place, some people have no respect,

redo said:
When I sold my house a couple of weeks ago, the purchasers did an pre-closing inspection too. It looks like you've paid for the house and its contents.
Also, when we moved into our new house, the place was scrubbed spotless, even the fridge and oven. It makes a huge difference.

We bought a house a year ago. Total renovation project (removing roof, etc) so had no time to closely inspect the entire property. When I finally got around to doing a job on the garden, in the farthest corner of the backyard underneath some bushes I found 4 very large sheets of asbestos. Rang the council to see how I can get rid of these, not uncomplicated. Is there any way that I can go back to the sellers solicitor at this point in time and demand removal of a hazardous and dangerous waste? This was definately concealed on purpose.:(

milly123 said:

You could definitely be done for littering (€125 fine), or worse illegal dumping (max €3000 fine and 1 year in jail)

It is akin to saying "I don't want this built-in cooker". You own this rubbish. Please dispose of it responsibly

NiallA said:
You could definitely be done for littering (€125 fine), or worse illegal dumping (max €3000 fine and 1 year in jail)

lets just think about this in a breaking the law but getting away with it kind of way.....how do litter wardens deterine culpruit? they examine the contents dumped for personal identification......won't be your identification found! he he he!!!! :p

seriously, fact is you ommitted to check condition of house on handover, they ommited to clean out house

sloggi said:
lets just think about this in a breaking the law but getting away with it kind of way.....how do litter wardens deterine culpruit? they examine the contents dumped for personal identification......won't be your identification found! he he he!!!! :p

seriously, fact is you ommitted to check condition of house on handover, they ommited to clean out house

Evil, he he

You have just rmeinded me to clear my attic.
We have sold, waiting to complete and I would have forotten to check the attic as we are so frantic with our new build and moving etc.
There is just a Christmas tree and baby clothes but still......wonder if the vendors simply forgot the stuff.

Our buyers never checked the attic nor did a survey or anything.

Same happened us- solicitor said that we could pursue seller as we had agreed to vacant possession- he recommended only doing it if there was a significant cost involved. I didn't bother (which is what she was counting on, I'm sure)

What goes around comes around..... she didn't redirect her mail (cheapskate) so I didn't bother with it and returned it all to sender. If she had behaved more honestly to me I would have been more than happy to forward her mail, but it was adding insult to injury after we had just given her every penny we own!

Same happened to us. Moved in and previous owners junk in attic.
Shed full of old paint tins(skips won't take paint)

Was in a chain, and closing on a Friday- didnt get keys until 5.25,

Passed by house week before selling and they had a large skip to throw stuff into so it was just laziness.

It is not worth pursuing. You will get their post, no doubt, so stick that in the attic and when they call for it, tell them it is with the rest of their junk

Back