Pressure pumps - coming on

Little late to this one. Reading the comments I think I have rented one of your rooms years later.

Attic bedroom with press adjoining (little door in my bedroom) unfortunately it seems to be broken as the grundfos pump comes on sometimes once a minute... during the night. No water running no heating.

I did turn it off when no other housemates were in but now they're back not sure what to do. One of them has an ensuite on the middle floor of the house so I didn't check the toilet cistern there. I'll mention it as it's not possible to sleep.

Will turning it of break anything? This is my main concern for this quick fix. Seems to be connected to hot and cold for all the house apart from the cold tap in the kitchen.

I'll have to agree with them to turn it off to not cause any issues. It's a short term rent for me , the house belongs to their family so don't want to cause issues.

Switching it off will not break anything. Cold tap in the kitchen is direct from the mains, you may also find that the toilets are not filled using the pump (easy enough to check, switch it off and flush the toilet, if the cistern refills as normal then you know it is fine). Given you haven't found any leak, it is likely that the diaphragm is degraded and that is causing the pump to switch on. You may still get a flow to various taps (especially as the tank is upstairs from what you are saying) but it will be low pressure, certainly not enough for showers or anything.

Thank you fir the reply. All useful information. You can imagine the frustration trying to sleep with that all night. One night it didn't come on , so it certainly is odd.. one possibility is that one of the toilet flushes might occasionally stay down due to the button. It's been half mentioned but not confirmed. Switching it off is fine for me. Even if it's at midnight and back on at 6, 6 hours better than none.

Thanks

Back