Pressure pumps - coming on

yop

Guys, have any of you a pressurised system in your house for your hot and cold taps?
We have one in and I have noticed that since it was turned on, last week, it has started to kick in every half hour or so.

Is this common?

Thanks

Re: Pressue Pumps - coming on

Hi Yop
The switching unit operates off a diaphragm. It senses a drop in line pressure (downstream of unit) when the water is used. The sensitivity of the sender unit can be adjusted. Check your toilet cistern, make sure it is properly working. A small leak past the seal could bleed off pressure turning the pump on till the float has enough strength to force it back closed again. I hope this is clear enough. You could a a small leak, or the sensitivity has to be slightly adjusted, sounds more like the former though.

Most likely one of 2 problems;
a) your system has been installed without a pressure vessel, if so - get one
b) there is a pressure vessel but it is not charged - if so get a bike pump and pump it to within 2psi of your required pressure

Adjusting the flow switch won't solve the problem

I agree with the previous posters and would like to ad that a pressure vessel's pressure should be checked now and then. Similar to a boiler's pressure vessel. Have a look at the boiler manual to see how it's done. You'll need a car tire pump equipped with a pressure meter (barometer). Your pressure vessel will have a valve where you can adapt the pump's nozzle and read the pressure, then fill up to the required reading/pressure.
It's absolutely normal that your pump starts now and then, but if you're not using any water and the pump is still starting then there is certainly a leak somewhere.

Its not necessary there is a leak. Pump controllers (if thats whats being used here) have an integrated non return valve. These are not 100% sometimes and its possible they may let some water back

I've a Grundfos pump and it comes on for a short time after flushing loos etc. It is a littly noisy and it is floor mounted. Can anything be done in terms of padding around it?

Mine is also a grundfos.

It is very uneven when it is coming on, sometimes it is one hour, sometime 2 hours, sometime 30 minutes.
I have not used toilets, not used taps etc so there should be no flow.

I will talk to the plumber but to be honest he is a pure chancer.

I believe if you wrap it in rockwool it should help in quietening it.

I have a grundfos mq pressure pump and I had the same problem myself.

Make sure that all plumbed connections to taps are tight. Check the toilet cisterns to ensure that they are not overflowing back into the bowl ( this will cause intermittant cycling). I did all this and it seems to have cured it, but be aware if you have small kids that they turn off the taps fully!!

If anyone finds a way to quieten down the pump i'd be grateful

all the plumbing connections are copper but the plumber mounted it on ply on the concrete floor. Was foing to remove the ply to tile the press area and place rubber mat or similar - wonder would this help - can u actually cover the pump with wool - does air not have to be allowed in?

I still have the problem of my pump kicking in about five minutes after the loo is flushed. Did anyone come up with a solution? I'm not really sure if the plumber installed this properly re checking pressures etc

talked to the plumber about this and he confirms that this is an issue and is due back to sort it out.

Read this thread with interest. Renting in a one bed apt. in Dublin (although have bought a two bed and moving in in a month - can't wait!). Anyway, pressure pump is in hot press beside the bedroom. Comes on anytime taps, washing machine etc. are used but stops as soon as the flow of water ceases. At least that's how it's supposed to work!. About 3 months ago, it started to "surge" every 30 mins or so for no apparent reason. Not good when located beside bedroom! Ended up having to flick it off at the mains every night. Then stopped working altogether. Got it replaced. About a week ago, started to "surge" again! Recollected plumber's prescient words that "they can go after a month". Came home this evening and stepped on floor boards near the hot press to hear a weird squelch. On closer inspection, the pump has leaked about 1cm of water into the hot press and it has spread under the surrounding floor boards! Let the l'lord know immediately. How I wish I was finishing up here and moving into my own place!! Anyway, this post probably isn't much use to anyone other than to add to the moaning about these crappy pressure pumps! Avoid if at all possible!!

can u actually cover the pump with wool - does air not have to be allowed in?

No, The Grunfos MQ is water cooled, so you can insulate all you want around it. I have not got around to insulating mine, but hope that when I do, it will quieten the thing down a bit.

Hint for new build... don't connect toilets to it, at least then if you get up in the middle of the night and flush the toilet, it doesn't come on.

Ours came on every half hour or so too at the beginning, turned out to be a toilet cistern leaking slightly, once all the initial main leaks were fixed :-(

mine still kicks in about five minutes after the toilet has been flushed.
The cistern is full and the pump stops but after a while it kicks back on for a few seconds.

Does any have a remedy for this?

mine still kicks in about five minutes after the toilet has been flushed.
The cistern is full and the pump stops but after a while it kicks back on for a few seconds.

Does any have a remedy for this?

Ours stopped after a while, it bled the air that was in it and it is fine now.

Our water pressure upstairs (coming from the attic tank) is absolutely rubbish and I'm thinking of getting an in-line pump installed. Do these work on hot & cold individually or can one pump have 2 feeds in and 2 out ?

Are they expensive to buy and install?

Sorry for the thread hijack ;-)

Back