President of Ireland or President of the Republic of Ireland?

No I do not agree. I think the Tánaiste is being helpful to future putative trade partners to the UK under its current administration.
You are being disingenuous in claiming the likes of the US need a warning from our Leo and for sure that is not why he said those things. It is a naked play to the domestic gallery and to the extent that it steals SF clothes I suppose that is one good thing.

Last edited:
I don't think the US needs any help from our Leo and for sure that is not why he said those things. It is a naked play to the domestic gallery and to the extent that it steals SF clothes I suppose that is one good thing.

Perhaps. That is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that FG see SF eating up greater ground and need to react. The increase in support for SF has ended the phony supply and confidence deal and forced FG and FF into coalition.

Stop the presses. The High Queen of the Six Counties will not attend Mass tomorrow to celebrate the perfidy of her ancestor and his government. Taking a leaf out of Mickey D's book she has cried off, pulling a reluctant sickie "on medical advice".

Stop the presses. The High Queen of the Six Counties will not attend Mass tomorrow to celebrate the perfidy of her ancestor and his government. Taking a leaf out of Mickey D's book she has cried off, pulling a reluctant sickie "on medical advice".
Lizzie pulls a sickie

The doctor's cert says she "needs a rest". Would an ordinary Josephine get sick pay on foot of such a flimsy excuse? And this posing with walking sticks all looks a bit like malingering to me.

The doctor's cert says she "needs a rest". Would an ordinary Josephine get sick pay on foot of such a flimsy excuse? And this posing with walking sticks all looks a bit like malingering to me.
Sure she must get the pension, though she only started paying tax a few years back and she's fail the means test so maybe not.
If she holds out another few years she can write herself a cheque.

You can now add a 7th - the Partition Party Perfidy when QEII broke her promise to attend a partition celebration bash on the limp excuse of needing a rest.

It's not my list, it's Naomi O'Learys list.

Still waiting on your alternative suggestion to Irish Sea border? Any day now, and 5yrs.

Still waiting on your alternative suggestion to Irish Sea border? Any day now, and 5yrs.
Didn't know you were waiting or what point you are making.
Of @Baby boomer 's 3 options the Irish Sea border is the best but it is now clear that, whilst not invisible, its visibility is an extremely flexible attribute.
The EU are now proposing only 20% of the visibility that they wanted a few months ago. You will note that there was no violent reaction when the Protocol was announced in the first place but the reaction was when it came visible. It may now be too late to correct the damage done by the EU in insisting on 5 times the visibility that they required and of course from the awful blunder of Ursula Underlying.
Varadkar's comments are particularly unhelpful in this context. At least Coveney is going to the Partition celebration bash, that no Head of State will touch with a barge pole.

As mentioned before, the issues surrounding checks emanating from the NIP are administrative teething problems, not issues of sovereignty.
Jeffrey Donaldson agrees

Customs checks do not change the constitutional status of NI

You will note that there was no violent reaction when the Protocol was announced in the first place but the reaction was when it came visible.

That's because it's not a constitutional issue. Instead what has happened is that heartland loyalism has conflated the importation of British sausages with sovereignty.
The EU never insisted on the checks, they are simply an administrative consequence of the agreement between EU and UK until such time as other measures, and actual planning, can be introduced to relieve the administrative burden. This is currently being offered at 80% reduction with more to come.

What will loyalism do then? Is their sovereignty so fragile as to not to be able withstand customs checks on exotic aubergines?

Last edited:
Is that the finish of the centenary then?, fairly damp squib. There'll not be another one.....

Is that the finish of the centenary then?, fairly damp squib. There'll not be another one.....
Nope. Civil war centenaries to come. Atrocities, executions, lots of bad things to dredge up......

Still a very touchy subject between FG / FF / SF.

Centenary* of NI I meant.

(*for the pedants I really mean it won't make it to bi-centennial "celebrations")

I think you'll find it's more complicated than that. A lot more complicated.

The 1948 Act doesn't say the State is called the Republic of Ireland. It says the description of the State is the Republic of Ireland. The name of the State is Ireland as per the Constitution - no ambiguity, end of story.

The Republic of Ireland is merely a soccer team.
Correct. And I made similar points in a previous post on AAM on the name of the state. Art 4 of Bunreacht na hÉireann clearly states that "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland." No ifs, no buts. So today I get a form from a state body, the CSO, asking me to participate in the household budget survey on "trips taken in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland". It's really unfair to criticise Jeffrey Donaldson for using the term 'Republic of Ireland', if a major state body uses the same term to refer to the state, and not use the name of the state as specified in the Constitution.

Correct. And I made similar points in a previous post on AAM on the name of the state. Art 4 of Bunreacht na hÉireann clearly states that "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland." No ifs, no buts. So today I get a form from a state body, the CSO, asking me to participate in the household budget survey on "trips taken in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland". It's really unfair to criticise Jeffrey Donaldson for using the term 'Republic of Ireland', if a major state body uses the same term to refer to the state, and not use the name of the state as specified in the Constitution.
The issue here is when does one use the "name" and when does one use the "description". Clearly in terms of the topic of this thread it is the "name" as set out in the Constitution that counts. However, when discussing it in a non constitutional or non legal context it would seem that the "description" as set by the 1948 Act would be more appropriate.

The issue here is when does one use the "name" and when does one use the "description". Clearly in terms of the topic of this thread it is the "name" as set out in the Constitution that counts. However, when discussing it in a non constitutional or non legal context it would seem that the "description" as set by the 1948 Act would be more appropriate.
The name of the country is 'Ireland' and the description of the country is 'Ireland'. 'The Republic of Ireland' is the name of a football team. If/when the Island of Ireland is united the name of the country will still be 'Ireland'.
If the Germans took Alsace from France, France wouldn't have to change its name. It would still be France. When the British took/kept the 6 counties of Northern Ireland they didn't get to take the name of the rest of the place.

The name of the country is 'Ireland' and the description of the country is 'Ireland'.
That is not the official position as @Baby boomer advised us some time ago.
Wiki said:
Since 1949, the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 has provided that the Republic of Ireland (or Poblacht na hÉireann in Irish) is the official description for the state.[10] However, Ireland remains the constitutional name of the state.

The constitutional name Ireland is normally used. However, the official description Republic of Ireland is sometimes used when disambiguation is desired between the state and the island of Ireland. In colloquial use this is often shortened to 'the Republic'.

@PMU @Purple
Just to be clear.
Donaldson was wrong to use ROI in naming the President as clearly this was a Constitutional use of the ”name”. Moreover, he knew it was wrong and was being provocative.
The CSO were right to use ROI in differentiating between here and NI as this is the official “description“ of the 26 counties as per the 1948 Act.
As for sports teams clearly it is the description that counts. The soccer team is Republic of Ireland. The rugby team is Ireland.

Last edited:
That is not the official position as @Baby boomer advised us some time ago.
Wikipedia is someone's opinion. It's often shortened to 'Doyn Soyth' as well. That is equally incorrect.
My name and my description are not the same thing. I would expect that people who know my name would use it and not my description when referring to me.

Back