Preserved pension - how can I find out if I'm eligible?

Carorueil

Hi there, someone suggested that having worked in Dublin Port for 8.5 years a long time ago that I'd be entitled for a Preserved Pension. I've spent the last year emailing documents back/forth between the relevant pension authorities who said I could be eligible for it.. Now after almost 15 months they've told me that Revenue couldn't find me and that I need to go back to Dublin Port!!

As I live abroad it's all a bit difficult especially as the relevant pension authorities only have numbers that are free in Ireland, so everything has had to be via email...

I'm not expecting to get a 'huge' pension but feel that if I'm entitled to it (at the time when I worked I was paying 48% tax) I'd like to ensure that I get it.

I'd be grateful if anyone can advise
thanks
Caroline

Well I don't know ! They've had my file for a year and only now telling me that they can't find me! I specifically referred to working in Dublin Port as that would be the only job where I could be eligible for this.
Have contacted Dublin Port but still strange that it took them so long to tell me! I'd provided them with my pension contributions info so I'd assumed that they would understand it!

Thanks ClubMan I contacted them last year and they who put me in contact with NSSO who told me a year ago that they thought I was eligible! Just a bit weird that providing documentation from Revenue and social welfare detailing tax certificate and pension contributions no-one could have told me this before!

As I live abroad I couldn't call them - they only have those numbers that are not free!SSo probably would have cost me more than anything I'd receive!

Thanks for replying !

Sounds like you're getting a bit of a runaround.
I would put the query in writing to the Pensions Authority and explain the rigmarole so far and request a written response. It might focus minds compared to an email or a phone call.
They really should be providing you with better guidance on this in my opinion.

Thanks ClubMan to be honest I'm not sure I'd get a lot but now I feel it's the principle especially as I live abroad I think they're trying to fob me off. To be honest it sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Thanks for your suggestion- I'll do that.

According to this link, The Dublin Port Company

..... operates four defined benefit pension schemes based on final pensionable salaries for eligible employees, including employees and former employees of Dundalk Port Company and the Company’s predecessor entity, Dublin Port & Docks Board.

The four schemes are administered by trustees. The schemes are “The Dublin Port Superannuation Fund 1996”, “The Dublin Port Company Pilots Superannuation Fund”, “The Dublin Port Company Chief Executive Retirement Benefits Scheme” and “The Dublin Port Company Pension Scheme for Former Employees of Dundalk Port Company”.

The Company and scheme members appoint the trustees of the Dublin Port Superannuation Fund 1996. The most recent member trustee election for the Dublin Port Superannuation fund 1996 was held in 2017 and the appointment of four candidates was ratified by the Board at its meeting on 8 December 2017. In addition to the four member trustees, the Company also appointed a further four trustees.
Irish Pensions Trust Limited, an independent professional trustee Company, is the sole trustee of the other three Schemes.

On the assumption that you're probably in one of the earlier schemes perhaps the Trustees may be able to help you?

Last edited:
Thanks Marsupial - and sorry for being so long in getting back to you.. We've got legal nightmares with neighbours here in France who damaged our house foundations so legal battles ongoing... I did try emailing Dublin Port in October but never got a reply... I may just submit a request to the Pensions Authority by registered letter requesting a written reply and see what happens. I'm still gobsmacked that despite providing all the documentation I have from Revenue and Social Welfare, Revenue 'couldn't' find me and seemed to think I worked for them??? The mind boggles! If I ever get a reply I'll let the forum know.

Thanks Marsupial - and sorry for being so long in getting back to you.. We've got legal nightmares with neighbours here in France who damaged our house foundations so legal battles ongoing... I did try emailing Dublin Port in October but never got a reply... I may just submit a request to the Pensions Authority by registered letter requesting a written reply and see what happens. I'm still gobsmacked that despite providing all the documentation I have from Revenue and Social Welfare, Revenue 'couldn't' find me and seemed to think I worked for them??? The mind boggles! If I ever get a reply I'll let the forum know.

But why not cut out the middlemen and write to Irish Pensions Trust who, as I wrote in my earlier response, are "the sole trustee of the ... Dublin Port & Docks Board Schemes"?

This link suggests that they're still operating: however they now appear to be a part of Mercer Ireland, so you might be able to get the ball rolling if you visit this link and ask them if they administer the Dublin Port & Docks Board pension schemes. https://www.justaskmercer.com/

Best of luck - and that goes for your French litigation too.

Thanks Marsupial - will try and see if they know something! Oh the French legal system is VERY slow (3 years this September and our house's foundations still damaged and we're still plodding along with the legal process... can't say we're particularly optimistic about the process or the results, but we're in the 'system' now so will have to see it through to the 'bitter end' .... thanks a lot for your help.. Spent the afternoon trying to retrieve my emails in one document for future reference.. I did find a Statutory document which seemed to imply that lots of Port authorities and bodies were 'exempt' from the Preserved pension scheme.. but as you say I'll contact them directly and get this sorted out one way or the other.. thanks a lot for your help and patience !

Whether the OP has any entitlement to a preserved benefit will depend on the rules of the particular scheme. This has nothing to do with Revenue or Social Welfare.
The rules around compulsory preservation of benefits only came in in 1991 (I think). If you left employment before that date you may nor have any benefit.
So contact your former Employer or Mercer (who not own IPT). They should know whether you have any preserved benefit.

Back