Present for wife for to mark birth of junior

I accept and acknowledge that childbirth must be extremely painful (I can only imagine) but I must admit to being a bit uncomfortable with the notion of offering a "reward" as if somehow this makes the pain go away.

I think you'll find most women won't take offense at being presented with diamonds after the birth.;)

Ah, these are materialistic times we live in, alright.

But if a present is your thing, we all know which stone is a girls' best friend ;)

I think you'll find most women won't take offense at being presented with diamonds after the birth.;)

I've found that most women don't take offence at being presented with diamonds at any time. For what it's worth, I bought Mrs Staples an eternity ring when I got a few euro together. I felt it was much more appreciated becasue the act of giving was random. It wasn't out of any sense of duty.

I just feel there's something a little bit wrong with the notion of something as precious as a birth being used to justify an entitlement to an expensive gift. A healthy child is the greatest gift you could possibly get and the notion of using this as justification to expect an expensive ring makes me uncomfortable.

I realise I'm in the minority here, however, and having made my point, I'll skulk over here to the corner.:)

But Staples, when we got engaged I gave her a diamond ring, when we got married she got another ring - there are too many precedents to be backing out now! :)

In fairness the missus is not the materialistic type but I would like her to have something that reminds her of the occasion (other than stretch marks!). Maybe a ring is too easy though and I should be thinking of planting trees or something - food for thought...

Ret45 that's exactly the way deBeers wants you to think! Eternity rings were invented by deBeers so that they could sell all the little diamonds they found in a mine in Mongolia. They invented the engagement ring as well, so maybe in future years eternity rings will be just as mainstream i.e. de rigeur as engagement rings are now.

If my husband was going to buy me diamonds I would much prefer earrings or a necklace. But I wouldn't want diamonds to mark the birth of a child.

"and I should be thinking of planting trees "

As an out and out tree lover, I think that this is the best idea. I have had four trees planted for various reasons, they cover all the seasons and they give me enormous pleasure on a regular basis.

My laburnum flowers in Spring, my Rowan gives berries in Autumn, my Birch has a wonderful shape and bark and my winter flowering cherry brightens winter days.

Trees over jewellery any day. Plus when you get burgled, its very unlikely they'll take a tree.........

mf

"and I should be thinking of planting trees "

As an out and out tree lover, I think that this is the best idea. I have had four trees planted for various reasons, they cover all the seasons and they give me enormous pleasure on a regular basis.

My laburnum flowers in Spring, my Rowan gives berries in Autumn, my Birch has a wonderful shape and bark and my winter flowering cherry brightens winter days.

Trees over jewellery any day. Plus when you get burgled, its very unlikely they'll take a tree.........

mf

Mmmm. But you're male, right? And what happens if you move home?

"And what happens if you move home?"

Great - a chance to plant more trees! But since we just went through the whole renovation thing, I think not.

mf

no offence but if I'd just given birth to a little being which I was going to have to care for for the next 18 years, the last thing I would want is a tree/plant which I would have to care for as well!!.

A present is given I guess as a reward for, in most cases, not drinking, smoking, going out to the pub, being designated driver, uncomfortable, unable to sleep, fat, feeling unattractive, stretch marks for nine months etc and it should be something which makes you feel good about yourself - so diamonds should do it - would for me anyway. Failing that a six pack of Heineken and a few hours on my own would suit me grand!

sounds like I can't go wrong with a eternity ring. I'll starting looking up jewellers, has anyone bought jewellery over the net? - with the weak dollar it could be worth it (sounds romantic I know)
Its a maternity ring you should buy as per the link below:
[broken link removed]

My DH wanted to buy me an eternity ring after our baby is born, but 2 rings are plenty for me.

I would like some nice earings, or some kind of pamering. Some expensive skincare products, hair products (its supposed to get very weak and fall out after the birth).

Im expecting to have very little time to look after myself with a new baby so nice pampering products that will make me feel good quickly would be on my list.

It really depends on what she is into, some women hate the idea of a spa day, to some its heaven, etc, etc.

Good luck and congrats.

Since the baby will have all those little clothes that need to be tended to why not buy her a new ironing board? What the hell, get the iron as well, show her you care! (Clubman is not here so someone had to say it:D)

ret45, good luck and congrats in advance!

I have heard of a ring which has the birth stone of each child (it can be added to if you are going down that road, but maybe don't suggest it just yet!!). I think this is a lovely idea. There is a name for the ring but it escapes me...I think it could be called a 'mother's ring'.
You could also plant a nice tree for the baby, if your garden permits, another nice idea, personally I think magnolia trees are the business, but apple tree would work well too.

folly

ret45, good luck and congrats in advance!

I have heard of a ring which has the birth stone of each child (it can be added to if you are going down that road, but maybe don't suggest it just yet!!). I think this is a lovely idea. There is a name for the ring but it escapes me...I think it could be called a 'mother's ring'.
You could also plant a nice tree for the baby, if your garden permits, another nice idea, personally I think magnolia trees are the business, but apple tree would work well too.

folly

The link to the birth stone ring is in my post earlier.
[broken link removed]

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1067572&classificationid=1037705
Maybe you should consider the above?

Back