Present for new home owner

talk to them - see what they have down as priorities.

when my sisters moved into their (individual) houses we paid for light fittings for both of them (i know it's a bit more expensive than op's budget) but it was both practical and decorative

One/two large frost-free terracotta pots - with or without plants - depending on the price you can afford.

Marion

We were given a terracotta window box filled with different herbs which I love. Also, if she's into cooking, my Mum got me a lovely Le Creuset casserole that's brilliant.

Funny how people buy stuff that they like, as presents for others, assuming the reciepients is the same as theirs. Usually it's not................

Funny how people buy stuff that they like, as presents for others, assuming the reciepients is the same as theirs. Usually it's not................
:D
Unless you're really really sure of the person's taste and what they'd want (really, really, really sure!) I think vouchers or "What would you like?" are the way to go. Or the minor ignominy of handing over a gift and saying "... and the receipt's in the bottom, if you don't like it" [if a place does gift receipts, that's not so bad, so it's worth asking], as opposed to "... and we've kept the receipt", in which case if the recipient hates it they have to ask you for it.

-Can't go wrong with a houseplant? - oh yes you can. Allergies, cats eating them (personal experience, the latter). Some people hate terracotta. Kitchen knives can be such a strong matter of preference - there are only a few knives out of our zillions that I ever use, and they're mostly the cheapies - that the recipient may just grit their teeth. You can have too many glasses. Believe it or not, some people don't even like champagne...

... though we were given a really lovely bottle of champagne by a good friend of ours as a housewarming gift - even the box it came in is a lovely leather case. We're saving it for when we've revamped the place - or possibly for when the revamp is depressing us so much we need a real lift!

I've decided to go for a pair of John Rocca Waterford Signature Champagne flutes. Does anyone know if they are on sale anywhere in Dublin?
Also, can anyone recommend a decent but not too expensive bottle of champagne?

When we moved one of the best presents we got was a fire blanket and two extinguishers. Would probably not have thought of buying them but so delighted to have them in the house.
Aside from that I would go with plants/tree.

We got tonnes of photo frames, champagne flutes, vases and fancy dishes for holding pot pourri.

Best gifts were an ice bucket, a voucher for Argos, and some lovely plants!!

I Bought John Rocca Signature glasses as a housewarming gift last August in Arnotts so you should find them there. How about a Moet and Chandon Champagne is always welcome and would compliment your glasses very well

Back