Present for new home owner

pugwall

Hi,

My sister and her OH recently purchased a house. I want to buy them a moving in present but haven't a clue what to get them.
My budget is EUR100. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: Present for new home owne

Easiest would be some DIY, Electircal store Voucher..let them decide what to get..won't go wrong with that

we got given a really good set of quality kitchen knives that we swear by now! newbridge silver do lovely sets of kitchen stuff

we got given a really good set of quality kitchen knives that we swear by now! newbridge silver do lovely sets of kitchen stuff

We got 4 sets of knives as housewarming gifts!
The biggest problem will be to know which set to bring out depending on which visitor we get.
An item "you can never have enough of" like wine glasses, good towels, etc. would solve the issue of not knowing if they had something already.
Otherwise something universally useful like a wok, tefal iron, casserole disk, electric steamer, George Foreman grill, etc. making sure to find out if they have one already.
If giving a voucher giftvouchershop.ie is the way to go. Gigantic choice.

Cash or vouchers are always good. You could always send them a hamper of goodies or make one up. When my brother moved into his first home I made up a hamper with some practical things (teatowels, kitchen utensils, household cleaning products etc) along with some things for moving day (tea, coffee, sugar, biccies, mugs, wine).

Practical things are nice but thoughtful gifts stay in someones memory longer. It's always nice to buy someone something that they wouldn't normally buy for themselves. A really nice photoframe or vase or decorative piece is always nice.Lots of irish crafts out there like Nicholas Mosse or Brid Lalor etc......maybe that's just my opinion though!

Hello,

The best housewarming present we got was a subscription to House and Home magazine. Very inexpensive, and a lovely gift.

I would stay away from the decorative ornamental 'pieces' as there is always a risk that your taste is not their taste etc and that they might not have anywhere to put it.

The subscription to House and Home is a lovely idea for anyone you know likes interiors etc. I'd love that!

I was recently at a house warming (my brothers)

He got so many glasses, vases etc. I dunno where he is going to put them all.

I would say go with a gift voucher if you dont know what your sister/her OH has/doesnt have.

I got my brother, bubbly with 2 glasses, a hamper thing with bits and bobs like diy stuff and a woodies voucher.

HTH Blueshoes

Personally myself and my partner got a whole load of glasses and small decorations which are all nicely stored up in the attic. The best gift we got was a nice bird table.

Being your sister, you should know what she likes and dislikes and you probably know what she has and doesn't have either! If it's their first home they would have so little to fill what seems like a big empty house that I'm sure they would like something either for the kitchen such as a microwave, juicer, funky clock, Stephen Pearce (or whoever) mugs or they might like something to fill the empty Sitting Room such as something to put on the mantlepiece or bookcase. You could also get a picture for the hall or a mirror. Vouchers are a great idea, they can get exactly what they need here and now. When I moved in to my house, the best voucher sI got were for Dunnes Stores as I love their homeware dept. I also got a Bird Table which I love but when you've an empty house, getting stuff for inside is more of a necessity.

Back