Preparing tax return for dead brother

bond-007

It is my unpleasant task to prepare a tax return for my dead brother. There is around €1500 he overpaid in tax during his last year on this earth.

I have just received the file back from the solicitor containing all his documents. As the death occured in 2003 I assume I need to complete either a form 11 or form 12 for 2003. Which is the best to use. He only had a paye income. I am in possesion of his final P45.

Along with the return form and his final P45 what other docs will revenue need? Do they need the grant/letter of administration and the revenue affidavit, death cert etc? Do they need the originals?
As i am acting as the administator instead of my parents (who have signed renounuations) will this make matters complicated.

Thanks

As the death occured in 2003 I assume I need to complete either a form 11 or form 12 for 2003. Which is the best to use. He only had a paye income. I am in possesion of his final P45.
I would assume a Form 12.

Sorry I can't really comment on the other issues but maybe one of our regular legal eagles can?

My condolences to you and your family and sorry to hear that you have to deal with this matter.

Along with the return form and his final P45 what other docs will revenue need? Do they need the grant/letter of administration and the revenue affidavit, death cert etc? Do they need the originals?

I would send copies of all of the above plus copy of the Will as Rev will ask for them in due course anyway.

Don't forget if your brother was married and jointly assessed the Form 12 will be for both spouses up to date of death. It may be worth completing a separate return for his widow from date of death to end of tax year as a tax refund may arise depending on circumstances.

Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated.

We was a single man with no will so I assume the above docs will do.

Back