Pregnant on career break - entitlements?

M

mollyhayes

I am on a career break since last October until the beginning of September next. I have been employed for two days a week on a self-employed basis with my former employer since October. I am now pregnant and due late July. Any idea whether I will be entitled to any maternity benefit from my employer from September?
In addition my last tax year 2004, was made up of paid weeks, maternity leave, unpaid maternity leave and unpaid parental leave and three months self-employed. How do I work out if I am entitled to maternity benefit?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Maternity benefit is payable by the Dept of Social Welfare and your entitlement would be based on your record of PRSI and/or credits (i.e. for periods for which you were in receipt of SW benefit previously)

I'm not sure whwther your employer is OBLIGED to pay you for the duration of your maternity leave but I'm open to correction on that one.

Maternity Benefit is paid to women who have paid a certain number of PRSI contributions on their own insurance record (Class A employee Class S self employed) and who are in recognised work up to the first day of their maternity leave. The last day of work (in this case self employment) can be within 14 weeks of the expected date of arrival of your baby. In other words you must cease employment and immediately commence your maternity benefit within 14 weeks of the expected date of arrival of your baby.

Prsi contribution requirements and more detail available on www.oasis.gov.ie

For a definitive answer ring Maternity Benefit Section on
1890 690 690

Congratulations!

Back