Pregnant girl looking for abortion money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not offering an opinion one way or the other; I just wanted to point out that having an abortion is not like throwing away an old pair of shoes and can have long-term psychological effects on both parties involved. My interest in this comes from the experience of the wife of a close friend who had a deep bout of depression after the birth of their first child as a result, (according to her and her psychiatrist) of an abortion she had 12 years before.

I just wanted to point out that having an abortion is not like throwing away an old pair of shoes and can have long-term psychological effects on both parties involved.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I also think it's grossly irresponsible to use abortion almost like a standard form of contraception as some appear to do.

I believe michaelm is simply looking for a row BTW.

God, your world must be great. You know- where you are absolutely certain you are right and therefore anyone who disagrees is wrong.
Yes. For me this is a black and white issue. I have a consistent life ethic. Apart from abortion being the wanton taking of life it is also detrimental to the individual and to society.
Caveat said:
I believe michaelm is simply looking for a row BTW.
Indeed, a row? Not that my views could be genuinely held? :(.

Well posts like this don't exactly encourage open discussion do they?

No they dont, its trolling by michaelm in my opinion.

I agree that abortion is not something to be taken lightly but ultimately it is a still only the 'potential' for a baby - many pregnancies end naturally before the 13 week mark, heartbeats at 22 days and brainwaves at 42 days dont change this.

I believe in choice, I dont think a woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy that could result in many peoples lives being ruined (the mother who doesnt want a child, the child who is unwanted, the relations of the mother of the child who see her falling apart through despair).

Carrying a pregnancy to term is not always a good option for everyone.

Abortion should not be used as a method of contraception, but in a modern society its a necessary evil.

I agree that abortion is not something to be taken lightly but ultimately it is a still only the 'potential' for a baby - many pregnancies end naturally before the 13 week mark, heartbeats at 22 days and brainwaves at 42 days dont change this.

I believe in choice, I dont think a woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy that could result in many peoples lives being ruined (the mother who doesnt want a child, the child who is unwanted, the relations of the mother of the child who see her falling apart through despair).

Carrying a pregnancy to term is not always a good option for everyone.

Abortion should not be used as a method of contraception, but in a modern society its a necessary evil.

I completely disagree with you.

In the UK you can have an abortion up to 24 weeks - that's 6 months. I'm sorry, but that is killing an unborn child.

Saying people need to have an abortion because having a child will "destroy" their life is ridiculous on so many levels. No child ever "destroys" someone's life - yes, the child will force you to make some major adjustments to your routine and alter some of your plans, but is that really enough of an excuse to physically destroy a life? No, it's not, it's utter selfishness.

I'm not religious and I don't have any warped views on "what is life" (for example, the morning after pill is not killing an unborn child), but abortion is wrong if it is done to save the parents from inconvenience. And that's why it is used - inconvenience.

I'm not religious and I don't have any warped views on "what is life" (for example, the morning after pill is not killing an unborn child), but abortion is wrong if it is done to save the parents from inconvenience.

Do you think a young girl committing suicide because she cannot cope with an unwanted pregnancy is simply someone who views it as inconvenience?

Do you think a young girl committing suicide because she cannot cope with an unwanted pregnancy is simply someone who views it as inconvenience?

Why are you using an extreme and rare example to prove a general point?

Of course I think abortion should be considered for extreme cases like suicide (mother and child will die) or an unwanted child from a rape.

But examples like that are perhaps... 0.5% of cases? Less?

Why are you using an extreme and rare example to prove a general point?

Of course I think abortion should be considered for extreme cases like suicide (mother and child will die) or an unwanted child from a rape.

But examples like that are perhaps... 0.5% of cases? Less?

Because I think that stating abortion saves parents from inconvenience is a gross over generalisation.

Its inconvenient when someone parks in your car parking space.
Someone not being able to go to college (or travel) because they cant afford childcare and taking a dead end job just to make ends meet is not an inconvenience, its a life change that may be so unwelcome as to be impossible to comprehend.

Someone not being able to go to college (or travel) because they cant afford childcare and taking a dead end job just to make ends meet is not an inconvenience, its a life change that may be so unwelcome as to be impossible to comprehend.

I agree having a child is a major issue, but is that enough of a reason to kill an unborn child? Of course not! It is not remotely close to being a good enough reason.

I understand abortion is a difficult topic, especially for people who have had abortions, but the reality is it is killing an unborn child. Seriously, just have the kid and give it up for adoption - it will be so grateful you didn't kill it. And you'll still get to live a normal life.

There is no reason not to have the child and give it up for adoption. Arguments like "but having a child will change the shape of my body" or "I don't want to have to alter my diet for 9 months" etc. are NOT strong enough to abort the pregnancy.

I agree having a child is a major issue, but is that enough of a reason to kill an unborn child? Of course not! It is not remotely close to being a good enough reason.

I understand abortion is a difficult topic, especially for people who have had abortions, but the reality is it is killing an unborn child. Seriously, just have the kid and give it up for adoption - it will be so grateful you didn't kill it. And you'll still get to live a normal life.

There is no reason not to have the child and give it up for adoption. Arguments like "but having a child will change the shape of my body" or "I don't want to have to alter my diet for 9 months" etc. are NOT strong enough to abort the pregnancy.

Well this may be your opinion but for someone faced with this difficult decision they may feel differently - and whether or not I presonally think abortion is right or wrong I have respect the choices of others.

Sorry, who are you to decide whether a woman should carry a foetus for 9 months and then 'just give it up for adoption'?

Ultimately, this is about control of a woman's body, and I for one do not want to force women to have children they don't want.

Sorry, who are you to decide whether a woman should carry a foetus for 9 months and then 'just give it up for adoption'?

Ultimately, this is about control of a woman's body, and I for one do not want to force women to have children they don't want.

I would agree with you IF the woman didn't have sex and somehow got pregnant. It's not like the baby magically appears - she has to have sex while she's ovulating.

I simply believe the right to life is more important than inconvenience.

For example, I know a lot of girls who've had abortions (it's very common, even in Ireland) and they all did it because they didn't want to have to carry a baby during college, or a similar, small reason.

I cannot understand how someone can put a small want like "ah sure the next 9 months will be easier if I'm not pregnant" ahead of "I'm going to terminate a life".

It's wrong. I know society is pushing us to accept it as right, but it's not. It is selfish and it is the classic example of people's unwillingness to accept personal responsibility for their actions.

I would agree with you IF the woman didn't have sex and somehow got pregnant. It's not like the baby magically appears - she has to have sex while she's ovulating.

What, so she should be punished by having the state dictate what she does with her own body?

I was not offering an opinion one way or the other; I just wanted to point out that having an abortion is not like throwing away an old pair of shoes and can have long-term psychological effects on both parties involved. My interest in this comes from the experience of the wife of a close friend who had a deep bout of depression after the birth of their first child as a result, (according to her and her psychiatrist) of an abortion she had 12 years before.
Do you usually generalise from individual incidents like this? I know more than one woman who has had an abortion (and some more than one) who have not been obviously unduly physically or mentally affected by it. If they have been then they hide it very well.

What, so she should be punished by having the state dictate what she does with her own body?

There's more to it than her body... there's a life growing inside her.

She should accept responsibility for what she did (got herself pregnant) and give the child up for adoption if she doesn't want the inconvenience of having to raise it.

I think having to put up with being pregnant for 9 months is a reasonable compromise.

I think having to put up with being pregnant for 9 months is a reasonable compromise.

Thats a simplistic overview, there is a lifelong psychological aspect to carrying a baby for 9 months and then giving it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back