Pre-Planning Consultation

Logo

I've just searched AAM for previous threads on Pre-Planning Permission Consultations. The main requirements appear to be a cover letter and a a site location map. The father (farmer) is going to the consultation on behalf of his son who is abroad. It seems that the important elements are that the applicant for planning should:

> Not own a domestic dwelling in the county (or own one that is not deemed suitable)
> Have grown up within 5km radius of planned site
> Continue to have strong ties with the area/ community
> Sign an agreement that you will live in the house for at least 7 years.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through the pre-planning meeting process and might have helpful advice.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The only other advise I can offer is not to offer too much information. What I mean by this is in my experience if you lay out a lot of detail you are only offering an opportunity for planner to cut back on your design etc.
Give examples of designs in the area size/height etc and ask them for guidance on such matters. You will receive copy of what was discussed generally and this will offer you/arch guidance going forward. Good luck.

Thanks . It is very early stage pre-planning i.e. no plans drawn up yet. Just need to know if planning permission is likely and what part of the farm is most suitable for planning approval.

Good advice from DCD there. If your local authority have an online planning search facility, take a look for applications in the area over the past few years. This will give you some ideas for what's allowed, and reading the conditions of granted permission can give you further insight into what they do and don't like.

Read “Rural Housing Guidelines” PL2/2017
and the relevant County Development Plan and talk to a neighbor who has recently built.

Back