Pre clearance at Shannon

salaried

Hello, We are traveling to the states soon, We are flying from Shannon to JFK with Aer lingus, First query , Can we check in on- line and go to the drop bag and tag which is the norm when we travel to Spain, Secondly do we then go through security as normal, And thirdly I am assuming we go through pre clearance and in to the departure lounge and wait at the boarding gate, If that is the case what does pre clearance involve, We have been to the States before but through a travel agent and before pre clearance, Thanks for any help, Regards Salaried.

Haven't flown from Shannon but based on my Dublin experience...

- Yes, you can check in online and use bag drop. Off the top of my head online checkin opens 24 hours beforehand for US instead of 30.

- Yes you go through normal airport security.

- Pre-clearance is going through US CBP. So what you'd normally have to do when land in the US you have to do before your flight. Much less stressful I think. You will need to have your ESTA sorted beforehand and have provided Aer Lingus with the advanced passenger information, have you done both of those? American CBP staff will take fingerprints, ask some questions and all being well, stamp your passport with your visa waiver for three months and let you through to nominally "American" soil. You will have to go through a second baggage check. Once you land, you land as a US domestic flight so you go straight to baggage reclaim.

Yes I have gone through preclearance a few times in Shannon. It is as you describe it you go through security and then through preclearance. You only need to show your passport they will have all your details from your esta I have never had any delays going through this much easier than going through it on other side.

Socrates and Hans , Thanks very much for you replies, I t is better to be sure when going to the states, And yes we have received our esta conformation and filled in our api with Aer lingus, Anything else you can think of that I am not please let me know, Again thanks, Regards Salaried.

Usual stuff. Liquids, less than 100ml apiece and in a single 1litre resealable bag. Give yourself extra time, CBP can add half an hour queuing. There is unlikely to be much by the way of shopping after CBP so if you are planning on buying presents do so before going through the Americans. If you have any dietary intolerances or requirements, you can pre-order a meal that meets those requirements (need to do that at least 24 hours beforehand). Bonus point is you get served first :) If your dietary intolerance is for economy cabin fare, AL provide a SkyDine menu you can pre-order from, it costs but the quality is considerably better! Before checking in, check out SeatGuru, if you put in your flight number it will give you the layout for the plane that should be flying that flight, including telling you which seats to avoid and why and which are the best. Oh and enjoy :)

Back