PRB Fees

Financequery

Hi Guys,

I have an old pension from previous employer approx. 55k. I spoke to a financial advisor who advised moving to a PRB with a number of funds. However, fees charged amounted to 1.25% per Anum. 1% from the Funds IM and .25% from FA.

I can't under stand why this is 0.5% higher as I reached out to IM sales rep - Irish life and Zurich and the fee's were 0.75%.

What do I get from the F.A thats worth 0.25% per anum?

Please do investigate the annual charge on the funds where they currently reside, as suggested by DBL2018 above. There are several valid arguments in favour of transferring an old pension fund into a PRB, such as eliminating the need for a trustee of the previous scheme to sign off on your retirement, perhaps decades after you've left the company. But on the other hand the scheme may have far lower charges than a PRB.

The FA is evidently taking 0.25% annual trail commission. Ask the FA what services they propose to provide each year in return for their 0.25%. Then decide if those services are worth it to you, or you actually want them. €55,000 x 0.25% = €137 per year so it's not a huge sum IF you are being offered an ongoing service that's worthwhile in return.

Contact a good broker. If you don't know one, look up the Recommended Advisors forum here on Askaboutmoney for Discount Brokers. You can get lower than 0.75% per year from a number of PRB providers - no trail commission - if you don't need ongoing advice.

Back