Prague and Vienna restaurants

joanmul

I've checked the threads and haven't found any recommendations for restaurants in Prague or Vienna. We're going to Budapest as well but I found some posts for that. I would appreciate some suggestions. We were in Prague a long long time ago - before the floods, so some of the places we were in may be gone. We were in one restaurant in a basement that was really super - mahagony lined walls, superior food and wine - all at basement (excuse the pun) prices, but I can't remember the name of it. We're going in two weeks time.

It's a while since I was last in Prague but some I really liked were Cafe Colonial (really good food, a little pricy by local standards), La Bodeguita del Medio (Cuban) and Red White & Blues (Cajun with live music).

Why don`t you get the info. from guide books like
the rough guide
lonely planet,
etc
You could borrow them from your local library or just write down the info. you need from the guide books in the library.

frommers.com is always a good starting point.

I would recommend a brewery/restaurant

Elitist...I take it you are not a budget traveller!
In Vienna they have restaurants in former wine making houses....excellent.

Had dinner here a few weeks ago (in Prague), great experience:
www.terasauzlatestudne.cz
Stunning views from the terrace.

For something less formal: Cantina (nice Mexican restaurant) and El Centro (Spanish).

All are close to the castle.

When are you going, and what type food do you like? In Vienna, there are lovely winehouses at the outskirts (easily reached by public transport) and you can sit outside amidst the vinyards, really idylic (see http://www.wien-vienna.com/grinzing.php, Sievering is also a good location for Heurigers). There is usually a foodmarket with seating area outside the townhall in summer and there's millions of restaurants with good food to be found. For traditional Wiener Schnitzl you can't beat http://www.figlmueller.at/ (Wollzeile) bang on in the city centre. For a hefty roast pork check out www.schweizerhaus.at in the midst of the Wiener Prater (funpark, where the giant ferries wheel is, and also huge park to stroll around).

It is a couple of years since I was in Prague, but enjoyed eating at Ambiente Restaurante Brasileiro. [broken link removed]

You pay a flat fee. You can then help yourself to salads. You also get a disk with red and green sides, if the disk is kept green side up the waiters keep comming with various cuts of meats.

[broken link removed]

Back