Power Tools

M

Mr Mussel

Where is the bast place - cost and service - to buy power tools. I'm hoping to do some DIY over the winter months at home and I'm considering buying a drill, sander and saw. I have looked at B&Q, Homebase, Argos but find it very hard to compare like with like - any help offered much appreciated.

advice

the only advice I'd give you is do NOT buy Black and Decker, because theyre not much better than kids' imitation powertoys.

"find it very hard to compare like with like"

Hubby is always complaining about the same thing, although the tools in our house generally pose as ornaments not for doing hard work!

Have heard people compliment McQuillians Tools; McQuillan's, 34-36 Capel St, Dublin 1, (01) 8733944 for both advice/good quality tools.

I know a lot of people think the insurance with Argos is extremely bad value but I prefer to buy it on not too expensive items and this would make me opt for Argos.

You could check out the prices on-line also:

www.homebase.co.uk/
http://www.woodiesdiy.com/woodies/default.asp?shop=woodies (www.woodiesdiy.com)
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/;jsessionid=4GNWSE5PPKNS4CRGAWDSFFQKEYCYIIV0?_requestid=701780 (www.B&Q.com)
[broken link removed]

P.S. Maybe I'll give you a shout to do our shelves as my nagging here is not working as usual :)

Hi Mr.Mussel!
Since you are not looking for professional tools check the Aldi home page ireland.aldi.com/
Apparently they have some special offers on power tools
on the 16.9.04,an electric planer for €22.99 and a circular saw
for €44.99.I don't know about the saw(70mm cutting depth is very good),but a planer for that money is worth it,with 2 years guarantee, imagine you would hire one for less than 7 cents a day for two years...I bought a lousy Black and Decker (see post above)for more than € 200 and had it repaired several times during its guarantee time and it has not more features than the Aldi model for € 29.99....

i bought a set in b&q last year. It was normally priced at 75 but there was 20% off everything, so got it for €60.

For that I got the following,

18V Cordless Drill (with charger)
2.2V Cordless Screw Gun (with charger)
Jigsaw (with blade)
Sander
Angle Grinder (with disc)

Best DIY buy I ever bought, as I have used all the tools. They come in a big sturdy grey case. Not too sure if the still have the sets!!

Have to give a thumbs up for McQuillans - in terms of price and advice I found them to be well worth a visit.

Back