Power of Attorney (ordinary)

happypat

My brother wants to give me authority to sign various affairs for him when necessary which I am happy to do.
He has provided me with a simple document to sign (per Power of Attorney Act 1996) and our mother will witness.
I'm just confused - it seems so simple, how does any institution I am dealing with for him know that this is valid - anyone could just draw one up. How do I prove that this piece of paper is valid? So how do they verify that the document is not just fraud.
Thanks

My brother wants to give me authority to sign various affairs for him when necessary which I am happy to do.
He has provided me with a simple document to sign (per Power of Attorney Act 1996) and our mother will witness.
I'm just confused - it seems so simple, how does any institution I am dealing with for him know that this is valid - anyone could just draw one up. How do I prove that this piece of paper is valid? So how do they verify that the document is not just fraud.
Thanks

The safest thing to do here is to have the actual deed drawn up and witnessed by a solicitor.
This way you will get the benefit of a professional overview of the legal propriety of the proposed instrument.
It will probably be acceptable to various institutions where it has clearly been prepared and executed by a solicitor.
Otherwise, a DIY power of attorney which is legally valid might look suspicious - as you correctly point out.
Additionally, I would not favour Mother witnessing it. You never know what future event might happen whereby she could become innocently conflicted as a witness and a person who might receive unintended advantage under the instrument.

Back