Potatoes - what's up?

The molecules of genetically modified food do not exist in nature. When our body comes in contact with them it tries to reject them. The fight for rejection causes such the immune system to overwork, producing a depletion of energy and in some cases immune system failure.
This is my opinion and the opinion of many world scientists that are not publicised too much.

hi alba,

can you provide any evidence or cite any research which backs up your opinion?

aj

You can also microwave potatoes, I think it takes about 7 mins but not sure. Consistent results everytime.

ajapale,
A hungarian,Professor Arpad Pusztai researched potatoes in 1999, but was forced to resign bucause of his views.
GM food was a common point for discussion a couple of years back, but you don't hear much nowadays. See [broken link removed]

!

i too am so fed up of this problem with potatoes i have tried them all but if u get potatoes that are grown without artificial fertiliser they wont boil into mush. these are the only ones recently that i have bought which cook properly. and all the green potatoes i am finding its unreal i dunno wot the crack is with them!

Alba Longa said:
The molecules of genetically modified food do not exist in nature. When our body comes in contact with them it tries to reject them. The fight for rejection causes such the immune system to overwork, producing a depletion of energy and in some cases immune system failure.
This is my opinion and the opinion of many world scientists that are not publicised too much.
It may be the opinion of many people but is it backed up by any recognised and verified scientific research?

The [broken link removed] doesn't seem to consider currently available GM foods dangerous for example:
Q8. Are GM foods safe?

Different GM organisms include different genes inserted in different ways. This means that individual GM foods and their safety should be assessed on a case-by-case basis and that it is not possible to make general statements on the safety of all GM foods.

GM foods currently available on the international market have passed risk assessments and are not likely to present risks for human health. In addition, no effects on human health have been shown as a result of the consumption of such foods by the general population in the countries where they have been approved. Continuous use of risk assessments based on the Codex principles and, where appropriate, including post market monitoring, should form the basis for evaluating the safety of GM foods.
Note also that Doctor (I don't think that he's actually a Professor) Pusztai's research/methodology has been criticised by a Royal Society committee:
It [The Lancet] has also been criticised for publishing research by Arpad Pusztai that claimed to show that GM potatoes produced worrying biological changes in rats. A Royal Society committee found it was based on poorly conducted experiments.

Alba Longa said:
ajapale,
A hungarian,Professor Arpad Pusztai researched potatoes in 1999, but was forced to resign bucause of his views.
GM food was a common point for discussion a couple of years back, but you don't hear much nowadays. See [broken link removed]

!
That Independent article is very interesting and points out many of the flaws in the research identified by other experts in this area.

I wonder has the fact that so many potatoes are rotten so quickly be anything to do with the plastic bags they are stored in as always years ago we had potatoes in the paper bags and if I store mine in a dark press in a paper bag then they do last longer. I have complained and returned a bag of spuds recently to my local supermarket as the majority of the bag were rotten once cut open (you could not see this when buying) and they refunded me. I guess if more people returned bad produce there would be more quality control checks put in place in supermarkets.

blueshoes said:
i too am so fed up of this problem with potatoes i have tried them all but if u get potatoes that are grown without artificial fertiliser they wont boil into mush. these are the only ones recently that i have bought which cook properly. and all the green potatoes i am finding its unreal i dunno wot the crack is with them!

Thanks - and where can you get potatoes that are grown without fertiliser? Presumably at the veg/farmers markets?

Andrewa said:
Thanks - and where can you get potatoes that are grown without fertiliser?
I doubt that potatoes can be grown without any fertiliser at all. Or maybe just very small ones? Or do you mean without "artificial" fertiliser?

ClubMan said:
I doubt that potatoes can be grown without any fertiliser at all. Or maybe just very small ones? Or do you mean without "artificial" fertiliser?

Oh yes, without artificial fertiliser please.

Why?

By the way blueshoes, do you know of any research showing that the mushing of spuds the cooking process is actually caused by artificial fertilisation of the crops?

The nicest spuds I've tasted to-date were grown in sand in Donegal - yummy but the butter might have helped.

It seems that I'm in the minority with my strong preference for soapy spuds rather than those oul balls of flour. See [broken link removed]. If only you shower would see the light and switch to soapy, all our spuds would be cheaper....

National tastes also affect prices across the eurozone. For example, Irish consumers prefer “floury” potatoes. However, these varieties of potatoes tend to achieve a lower crop yield, sometimes up to 20 percent less than that of waxy/soapy potatoes preferred by other countries, thus making the potatoes we eat relatively more expensive;

You're not alone - while I can take or leave spuds at the best of times, when I do go for them I much prefer soapy ones to floury ones too.

"I much prefer soapy ones to floury ones"

Pardon my ignorance but what are soapy potatoes? All sorts of strange things spring to mind including throwing in a bar of Lux instead of butter/milk for mashing :D

Soapy is basically the opposite of floury - it is the almost waxy solid potato that doesn't break up on the plate or on the fork and retains its structure until it hits your mouth.

RainyDay said:
Soapy is basically the opposite of floury - it is the almost waxy solid potato that doesn't break up on the plate or on the fork and retains its structure until it hits your mouth.

My favourite too - especially in currys.

Back