Posting Guidelines

Which ones do you you not understand?

19 Please write clearly and avoid using text speak or all capital letters

Please take a little time to write your post carefully. Use complete sentences. Use paragraphs for longer posts. Do not use Text Speak. Internet etiquette dictates that ALL UPPERCASE TEXT is considered at best hard to read and at worst rude ("SHOUTING") so please avoid posting messages or subject lines in upper case only. If everything you type is in uppercase then make sure that your Caps Lock key is not inadvertently engaged.

3 Please make the heading of your question relevant

Don't post a general heading such as "help !" or "Mortgage query". If you post a heading such as "Mortgage for separated couple", it will get a better response and will be much easier to find if you need to go back to look for it.

I fully accept that moderators' wisdom is infinite, but I have been confused from time to time what rule I've broken:)

AAM modding is pretty zealous, but on balance it's for the best as it keeps standards high.

I've had my post deleted and got advised by Private message but at least if I had the post I could look at it and see where I broke the guidelines. There is a pandemic going on and people's brains are not that sharp.

Very disappointed

When Frequent Posters ignore the Posting Guidelines, we ask them to read them again just to refresh their memory.

Did you read the Posting Guidelines?

The message you got contained all that you needed to know. It was something like the following. Maybe read the alert again.

1613723838760.png

Post deleted, no idea why and what guidelines not adhered to. Very disappointing.
***Edit, presumably I had a few too many uppercase letters int he title. In either case, would be better to explain the actual reason. And no way to get the content of my original post too. Can it not be suspended or similar, to allow people to rectify any issue to report again instead of deleting?

If there was some quick and easy way for mods to deal with posts that breach guidelines (which are not libellous or outright disrespectful) without full deletion that might be a net win.

E.g. move them to a locked forum, where folks can still copy their content from, but the 'bad' post doesn't clutter the main fora or enjoyment of the site.

It would also serve as living examples for posters of the standard needed.

SPC

While I appreciate the suggestion, it's much easier if people just read the Posting Guidelines and think before they post.

People using bad language and shouting in the thread titles should know that their post is going to be deleted.

I would much prefer to be answering questions on financial topics than mollycoddling people who are too lazy.

An example today was someone adding their own question to someone else's thread and saying at the start of the post, "maybe a moderator would move this to a new thread"

The delete button is the quickest way of dealing with this laziness.

Brendan

I know humour is subjective and moderators are quite entitled to delete a post but there is no need to be rude in doing so.

I found the message I received to be quite rude, I make a small contribution to this community and found it quite jarring.

Hi Romulan

The Delete Button does not allow us to write essays.

When a thread is dealing with a very serious, important and complex issue, it is very very annoying to be distracted by a vague, obscure post.

I didn't know
1) What it meant
2) Was it deliberately offensive - I didn't think so, but it could have been.
3) Was it humorous? I didn't think so, but maybe it was intended to be.

You seemed to be interpreting what someone else meant and were just confusing matters and taking the thread off topic.

Brendan

Last edited:
Brendan, I appreciate you are busy so I'll conclude by confirming that it was failed humour rather than any attempt to be offensive.

I've found the site to be a tremendous place and I wish it well for the future

I'm no shrinking violet but after your emails, which differ from the published response, I won't be contributing or visiting again.

Regards,
Paul.

after your emails, which differ from the published response,

Again, I have absolutely no idea what you are on about.

I have not emailed you as far as I know - I could have but I don't know your email address so I don't associate with user Romulan.

I checked the Private Messages and there is none there recently.

The only communication would have been with the note attached to the delete post. It's not something which I would have convened a conference to agree a wording on. It's not published so I have no idea what it's even supposed to differ from.

Your post was annoying and off topic or responding to an off topic post. It was deleted and a note is attached. It's not meant to be rude, but it's done quickly and I don't hide my annoyance.

Brendan

Could I make a suggestion?

If a post is deleted can you send a copy back to the person to make amendments after they cross check to see where they went wrong if they did a large post and didn't take a copy?

Perhaps you would like the moderators to highlight the bits in breach of the guidelines?

Perhaps you would like us to suggest alternative wordings?

The Posting Guidelines are simple enough. If you are going to post, post in accordance with them.

There should be no extra burden on the moderators because you can't bother reading them.

You show in this post that you are well capable of understanding them and adhering them when you bother.

Brendan

Perhaps you would like the moderators to highlight the bits in breach of the guidelines?

Perhaps you would like us to suggest alternative wordings?

The Posting Guidelines are simple enough. If you are going to post, post in accordance with them.

There should be no extra burden on the moderators because you can't bother reading them.

You show in this post that you are well capable of understanding them and adhering them when you bother.

Brendan
Brendan I think you are being a bit harsh, I drafted a large post in between going in and out of my work system and taking calls, I didn't give something my full attention and for that I do apologise but there is no need to be rude it's not very welcoming and would make you paranoid about posting again.

I obviously posted something that went against the rules. I didn't have a copy of the message to cross check against the rules - there are a lot of rules so give a dog a bone.

All I am suggesting is a copy of the original message so we can figure it out where we went wrong, correct it so we can post it again. It's not a case of not bothering I made a mistake somewhere along the way and I would have happily corrected it had I the original text.

It's very simple and you know well that we do not tolerate any bad language on askaboutmoney.

You corrected it in your reposted version.

Brendan

My reposted version was bits of what I could remember from my original post, if I cursed in it so be it, I will just have to take your word for it as I have no way of disproving as I never proof read the post before I hit the button.

Anyway hopefully the information is of some use to the original poster she has a task ahead of her.

Thank you and good luck.

I've always found it useful to draft lengthy posts on a word-processor in the first instance, saving a copy locally before doing the copy & paste to askaboutmoney.com or any online system.

I've made this suggestion before. Would it be a worthy addition to the Posting Guidelines, as they are Guidelines and not rules?

The mods here do a wonderful job.

They have no manners !

I reported a post as spam recently, thinking I was doing my bit as a good member of the AAM community keeping it free from spam for all ! Yeh me !

I received a very snotty message ticking me off for wasting the mods time by reporting obvious spam.

ooh !
They are not that complicated.

3 Please make the heading of your question relevant

Don't post a general heading such as "help !" or "Mortgage query". If you post a heading such as "Mortgage for separated couple", it will get a better response and will be much easier to find if you need to go back to look for it.
apologies - i see on the guidelines where i went wrong ill read before i post again - thanks

Back