Posted a letter but forgot to stamp it

jan

Hi, My Dad posted a Birthday Card (Longford area) to someone in Laois and forgot to put a stamp on (83 yr old - got distracted).. what will happen to this card now? Will it just be binned? He didn't put a return address on it (pity).. and he put money in it (not wise but he's old school).. I'll ring the sorting office in Athlone in the AM - anything else I can do? Would love to know though what generally happens in this situation.. would appreciate any info - TIA

One of my offspring once posted a letter unstamped and addressed to:

Grandad (no name, just Grandad!)
Village
Co. Name

And it got there! :)
One better - (and true) - a postcard posted in Rome with no name or address on it but contained a message starting "Hi Mary" arrived at the home of its intended recipient some days later.

How Did It Happen? Several postcards with the same handwriting were posted at the same time in Rome and all for Waterford City; all had an address except one and the Roman Postal Sorters (union members, natch!) sent the unaddressed card through to Ireland and onto Waterford where the local Post Office workers knew "Mary" and the seemingly impossible happened.

For the record (and on my honour) the above is 100% true - I witnessed it.

That is an amazing coincidence.

It could have been any grandad in any village in any county?

Brendan
The post delivery called in to the house in the (admittedly very small ) village & handed it over saying - "I think this must be for you"!

One of my offspring once posted a letter unstamped and addressed to:

Grandad (no name, just Grandad!)
Village
Co. Name

And it got there! :)
awe thats so cute.. have heard of other stories like this over the years..

thanks for all the replies.. the card actually arrived to its intended destination this AM - happy days.. v surprised tough.. I wonder how it slipped thru - do they use machines or people to sort post?

awe thats so cute.. have heard of other stories like this over the years..

thanks for all the replies.. the card actually arrived to its intended destination this AM - happy days.. v surprised tough.. I wonder how it slipped thru - do they use machines or people to sort post?
An post still use humans

The auto sorter probably noticed it had no stamp and it was pushed out along with letters that had undecipherable writing. A human then looks, sees that it has no stamp, but also sees it's a card and lets it proceed.

It's when they see a pattern that things get returned.

Reactions: jan
Back