Post 1995 Supplementary pension query

I started this post back in february 2024, and at last my former public sector employer has acknowledged the Analomy, they have applied the national wage agreements % increases to my Supplementary pension since my retirement in May 2022 & have backdated the increases with arrears from August 2024. The arrears due from 2022 to 31st July 2024 is still awaiting sanction from DPER.
Its been a long road and i wish to thank all contributors here on Boards for there help
 
I started this post back in february 2024, and at last my former public sector employer has acknowledged the Analomy, they have applied the national wage agreements % increases to my Supplementary pension since my retirement in May 2022 & have backdated the increases with arrears from August 2024. The arrears due from 2022 to 31st July 2024 is still awaiting sanction from DPER.
Its been a long road and i wish to thank all contributors here on Boards for there help
Will you receive the national wage agreement % increases that fell during the 9 months you were on jobseekers benefit?
 
Last edited:
Codeblue, that is an interesting observation, this months pension cheque just had under Supplementary pension the full amount including back money from Aug2024 and apparently increases form date of retirement, but will have to wait till next months cheque to see what my actual Supplementary is, and will then be able to calculate what national wafe agreements were included, take it from there
 
@stoves1, truly delighted you got all this sorted, shameful you had to pursue this for so long, and once again, you have cleared the path for many others coming down the tracks within your sector and perhaps others outside of it, to ensure the terms of the Post 1995 Pension Scheme is administered correctly. It is unfortunate that so many sectors deal with this so differently. I know my pension with Department of Education from the very first national wage agreement % increases, increased both my occupational element and my supplementary element with each and every uprated wage agreement increases, albeit, I found it very frustrating that my fortnightly payslip, always just stated one line with the word pension, or if uprated increases was not applied in real time, I got two lines on my payslip, pension and then arrears. Its great that you can see both occupational and supplementary values on your payslip, as these really come into play upon receipt of the SCOAP. Well Done, great job.
 
At the time I retired from the HSE I was obliged to claim jobseekers benefit (now optional), uprated increases were not awarded for this 9 month time frame 2% and 1% . This has the effect of ensuring I never have parity with "D" stamp colleagues the very thing Supplementary pension was designed to do. I did receive the 2 increases on my main occupational pension. Queries I have sent to the pension department in the HSE have never been responded to.
 
@Codeblue, sadly a few of us on here ( Post 1995 - Pre 2004) have had experiences with different anomalies from our respective PPA's and I would really suggest you pursue this, as at all times you should have no less or no more in pension than your D1 (Pre 1995) counterpart. You may need to go down the IDR (Internal Dispute Resolution) route with the HSE for it to get actioned/reviewed, failing that make contact with the FSPO
advising them your correspondence is being ignored. Best of luck
 
Hi and great to read all this valuable info. I submitted the ASC 12 form thanks to posters here. The post 1995 integrated pension truly has been a challenge and I suspect the not being able "work" issue for those aged 60-66 might contravene some law somewhere? My question is if I earned a paltry sum of less than 1,000 a year gross would I loose the supplementary benefit (aka that 1/3 of my pension) ? If anyone knows?
 
@ Irish angst, extract from Circular 12/2024, might help.

7. Application of a Pro-Rata approach to employment
The payment of an OSP should not cease, or be refused completely, where a pensioner takes up part-time
employment. It is appropriate to calculate the amount of OSP payable on a pro-rata basis in such cases. The
specific process (including frequency and Relevant Period) for applying pro-rata adjustments shall be determined
by the relevant PPA, taking into account the operational requirements and administrative constraints to which
that PPA is bound.
Example:

An individual works one (1) day a week in a normal five (5) day working week. They will be deemed to be working
20% of the normal working week and would have the OSP payable reduced by 20%.
 
Thanks@Fionclaire . Digging a bit searching + in here I saw references to ....if earnings are less than 5,000 a year and not eligible for PRSI etc. it may not be an issue? Not 100% clear and again as we know it's a condition not applied to D retirees. The jobseekers issue of parity with D is interesting too as it can be a substantial gap. My sense of it is would be helpful if pension officers outlined the A integrated pension and give the relevant comparison rate with the D rated pension so you know all along what the disparities are if any?
 
An individual works one (1) day a week in a normal five (5) day working week. They will be deemed to be working
20% of the normal working week and would have the OSP payable reduced by 20%.
If they work for 1/2 day per week, would their OSP be reduced by 10% ?
 
Digging a bit searching + in here I saw references to ....if earnings are less than 5,000 a year and not eligible for PRSI etc. it may not be an issue?
Are you referring to this link
I just presumed the OSP is reduced by the days of the week you actually take up employment, as per circular, which made sense.
It did not affect me, as when I retired, I truly retired. Sorry I can't offer any help on this one.
 
If they work for 1/2 day per week, would their OSP be reduced by 10% ?
You would think so?
But when you refer to below extract from circular, I don't know how the administration of all this would be handled.
The
specific process (including frequency and Relevant Period) for applying pro-rata adjustments shall be determined
by the relevant PPA, taking into account the operational requirements and administrative constraints to which
that PPA is bound.
 
If the employment contract allows for the employee to take 1/2 days annual leave, then 1/2 days should not be an administrative constraint.

I took parental leave many years ago on an hourly basis (2 hours per week). Is this still allowable ?

If it is then part time work should be counted hourly to calculate the pro rata deduction to OSP.
 
I seem to remember I would be deducted for the full day even if I only worked part of a day.

Most of the work I do is 1/2 day. Panels etc... and each attracts a day deduction.

In the past year, I worked 18 Days which consisted of 93 hours, or about 13 days.

It looks like they are applying a social welfare rule.

Some calculations seem to work like @S class mentioned, where it is a percentage of the WTE. The PPA who decides are guided by NSSO advice, from my experience.

I would be unusual in that I am getting OSP and getting additional work in my organisation.

Most would have retired at state pension age in my grade.


My interaction is with the PPA (My former employer) who consult with and instruct the NSSO on the deductions.

EDIT
I just checked the on-line payslip.

I have 9 days (for a portion of the year) deducted. This was 9/14 of the OSP. So the OSP is based on a 7-day week.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, it's interesting that class D pensioners have no such restrictions on working and keeping their pension. Seems discriminatory to me to those post 1995 age 60-66 who get their pension via integrated method appear to be subject to social welfare rules and therefore that part of their occupational pension paid via supplementary benefit is not treated the same as those who retired on D pension. I suspect this contravenes the parity principle agreement between D and A (post 1995).
Are we simply talking about a system issue that makes this a problem? I find it hard to believe that one cohort of pensioners are being discriminated like this in 2025 because of a very badly constructed integration process. It creates a disincentive to work at all as the post 1995 retiree loses part of their pension and the D retiree does not. I cannot understand how the Unions are not sorting this out? The benefits are in tax paid to the state, the benefits financial and psychological to the retiree and the gain of having experienced people still in the workplace? Overall the exclusion of these people does seem like an equality issue also. They seem to be are the only specific cohort to be penalised in this way.
 
Could I please sanity check the following. I am a former post-95 pre-2004 public sector worker with a preserved pension starting at an NRA of 60. I am still not certain how to calculate the OSP that I will be eligible for. If for example my final salary is 80k and I have 20 years service is it simply that my overall PS pension will be 20k from 60-65 as this is what a pre-95 PS worker would have received? One complication may be that I am also a company director. Even though I am not taking a salary for this would I still be classed as self-employed and would this disqualify me from the OSP? If so, perhaps if I step-down as director (but still own >15% of the company) would this qualify me?
 
I won't be able to explain it well. Your pension at 66 has 2 components - the public sector pension from superannuation and the contributory pension. You won't get your contributory pension until age 66. But you can get a supplementary pension between 60 and 66 which compensates / or partially compensates for that.
 
I am a former post-95 pre-2004 public sector worker with a preserved pension starting at an NRA of 60. I am still not certain how to calculate the OSP that I will be eligible for. If for example my final salary is 80k and I have 20 years service is it simply that my overall PS pension will be 20k from 60-65 as this is what a pre-95 PS worker would have received?

Yes. In this scenario the Occupational Pension should be in the region of €12,200 and the OSP about €7,800. However, I don't know the answer to your second query about the directorship. If you are eligible for the OSP it comes in a combined payment with the Occ Pension, ie, just one pension payment.
 
Back
Top