Post 1995 Supplementary Pension Query

stoves1

Having retired reached mandatory retirement age within public service ie 60yrs and a post 1995 entrant my monthly pension is itimised up
as a pension payment, underneath is Supplementary pension payment, my query is does the Supplementary payment amount ever increase since date of retirement, if so how/when or does it stay at the same amount as on my retirement date as seems to be the case,

This sentence, in particular, seems relevant.

An equal principle also applies that while they should be no better off neither should they be any worse off and this is provided for in legislation. Payment of a supplementary pension to rectify any anomaly is provided for under several sections of The Local Government (Superannuation,) (Consolidation) Scheme 1998.

It would appear to me that the entire pension, the pension payment and the supplementary pension payment, should equal the pension paid to the equivalent Class D uncoordinated pensioner. So, if their pension rises, due to national pay agreements, the same should happen to your entire pension.

This sentence, in particular, seems relevant.

An equal principle also applies that while they should be no better off neither should they be any worse off and this is provided for in legislation. Payment of a supplementary pension to rectify any anomaly is provided for under several sections of The Local Government (Superannuation,) (Consolidation) Scheme 1998.

It would appear to me that the entire pension, the pension payment and the supplementary pension payment, should equal the pension paid to the equivalent Class D uncoordinated pensioner. So, if their pension rises, due to national pay agreements, the same should happen to your entire pension.
Yes my thinking too, trying to tease out who i could go to in order to get this as an official view. I have directly sent a mail to Garda pensions past few days (awaiting reply) asking the question as i posted at start, and the term " equivalent" is my view i have noticed in my own pension pay that the Supplementary amount has not risen since retirement, circa 3 to 4 national agreed wage rises.
Although this does not effect a lot of post 1995 people yet, it will.
I am wondering who/where i can go to to challenge their interpretation, local TD, Citizens Advice, Pensions ombudsman?

Hi Stoves.

If you haven't done so already I'd be contacting the Garda Retired Members Assoc. Are you a member?
If not maybe you'd consider joining?

You are somewhat of an outlier at the moment as a post '95er who has had to compulsorily retire. You'll have strength of numbers around you in the next few years and that association, and other affected associations are bound to get very vocal if there is that anomaly.

Final question. Is it possible that the DoJ element of your pension is increasing by more than 50% of the recent pay rises to equalise matters?

From the Superannuation Handbook , your income from the State combined Work Pension / Supplementary payment and or Social Welfare , should be as if you were a Pre95 Pension .

11.10 Supplementary Pension:
In calculating pension at paragraph 11.7 above, it is assumed (a) that the officer
concerned is always entitled to social insurance benefits and (b) that he/she is eligible
for the maximum personal rate of such benefits. However, depending on a particular
individual's PRSI contribution record, it may transpire that - through no fault of the
officer concerned - he/she either has no entitlement to the specified social insurance
benefits, or even if so entitled, is eligible for less than the maximum personal rate of the
Contributory State Pension payable to a single person without dependants. In such
cases, the officer may be paid a supplementary pension, to take account of the
difference between their personal circumstances and the general assumptions on which
standard pension calculations are based. Specifically, such a pension is payable to a
retired officer in receipt of a civil service pension who is unemployed and, due to
causes outside his/her control
(a) fails to qualify for any social insurance benefit or pension (i.e. Disability
Benefit, Unemployment Benefit, Invalidity Pension or State Pension); or
(b) qualifies for one or other of the benefits referred to at (a) above, but at less
than the maximum personal rate of the Contributory State Pension payable
to a single person without dependants.
In such cases, the supplementary pension payable comprises the difference (if any)
between
(a) the amount of the actual pension awarded to the officer plus the amount (if
any) of the personal rate of social insurance benefit or pension payable to
him/her; and
(b) the amount of the pension which would have been awarded to the officer
if that pension had been calculated by reference to the calculation method
for pre-6 April 1995 officers set out at paragraph 11.8.
In the case of delegated departments/offices, the Department/Office from which the

Attachments

• SuperannuationHandbookandGuidanceDec20061.pdf
    562 KB · Views: 6
@stoves1

The GRA produced a pensions information booklet in 2017.

PDF attached in case you don't have a copy.

Attachments

• GRA-Pensions-Booklet-Jul17-red.pdf
    705.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi Stoves.

If you haven't done so already I'd be contacting the Garda Retired Members Assoc. Are you a member?
If not maybe you'd consider joining?

You are somewhat of an outlier at the moment as a post '95er who has had to compulsorily retire. You'll have strength of numbers around you in the next few years and that association, and other affected associations are bound to get very vocal if there is that anomaly.

Final question. Is it possible that the DoJ element of your pension is increasing by more than 50% of the recent pay rises to equalise matters?
Hi Zobeda
Yes i am a member of the GSRMA and have raised it, but unfortunately nothing being done, I am retired since May 2022, and can confirm that the supplementary part has not increased only the pension and allowance element of pension, i am pretty good with figures, and at this stage would like to know where i can go with this query, many thanks

Hi Zobeda
Yes i am a member of the GSRMA and have raised it, but unfortunately nothing being done, I am retired since May 2022, and can confirm that the supplementary part has not increased only the pension and allowance element of pension, i am pretty good with figures, and at this stage would like to know where i can go with this query, many thanks
As per above , your income from both should be the same as if you were pre 95 , its in the Superannuation Handbook ,
b) the amount of the pension which would have been awarded to the officer
if that pension had been calculated by reference to the calculation method
for pre-6 April 1995 officers set out at paragraph 11.8.
The GRA put this guide to all pensions , its worth your while read it

Back