Post 1995 -2004 Supplementary Pension Query and working a small bit 60-66yrs

Irish angst

I don't understand why the person on A1 stamp has to declare they are not working to receive the balance of their full pension (aka supplementary pension) equalisation principle to someone on a D stamp. The retiree on D stamp can work and receive full pension. The retiree on A 1 stamp can only work if forgoes balance of pension - called supplementary pension. This seems contrary to equalisation principle and ageist too. So we have a number of experienced people who cannot work between the ages of 60 and 66yrs in order to receive similar pension to a retiree on the D stamp? Is there not an obvious legal anomaly here within the system ? How does anyone benefit from this? Employers looking for workers and psychological and exchequer benefits too? Not feasible for many to drop the supplementary benefit for a small amount of hours per week nor fair that one should loose the same pension benefit as colleagues on D pension.

I understand you can drop the supplementary benefit on a daily basis. So if you were interviewing for a couple of days a month, you would just not get the pension for the couple of days.

Agreed the supplementary pension is very cumbersome, and in particular the period when you are on Job seekers benefit for the first few months. The need to available for work and to go to a post office weekly is another significant source of difference between the A and D stamps.

Thanks for reply. Perhaps a legal brain might have an insight into the discrepancy between A and D with regard to the equalisation principle. Ironically after the age of 66 a person on A1 stamp can work without losing their pension. It seems to be the way the system works as opposed to a deliberate attempt to stop people working. Typical Irish ☘️ solution to integration method. But should be addressed nonetheless as D PRSI early retiree definitely benefits from being able to work in those years and keep pension.

Having retired last year post 1995 entrant and now aged 61 and recieving a supplementary pension after a lot of Bureaucracy both from my employer and the Department of social welfare, i now notice that as part of national wage agreements i only get the % rise on the pension part on not on the circa one third Supplementary part, i dont think this is correct any advice to get clarification

Will be interesting to see how they apply principle of equalisation on that one ☝️. I’ll be in the same situation. Have you asked your HR or a union representative about it? The bottom line is supposed to be that you should be at no disadvantage financially to someone who retired on a D pension

Will be interesting to see how they apply principle of equalisation on that one ☝️. I’ll be in the same situation. Have you asked your HR or a union representative about it? The bottom line is supposed to be that you should be at no disadvantage financially to someone who retired on a D pension
That is why i am raising prospective retirees shoul raise it with their employer and union before exiting as once your gone your on your own and can cause you angst, nobody wants to know

Back