Possible to obtain sent/received texts from Vodafone?

ivorystraws

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, don't the mobile phone companies have to store the texts sent on their network. If this is true, is it possible to obtain some texts sent from and received to, my number on the mobile network?

Hi There,

Yes mobile operators do have a store, where text messages are stored, so it would be technically possible, however, I imagine that given the amount of effort that would be involved, that you won't get a favorable answer to your query from your mobile operator.

Wollran

Well, its not technically that difficult, but you would want to give them as much info as possible, eg dates, times, etc.

Also, not sure if they have to store the content of texts or whether they just store the fact that a text was sent.

Thanks for all the responses!

Don't the Gardai exploit this source of information when tracking criminal figures? Maybe not.

I suppose, if the operators do actually store the text contents, then I'd probably need to know someone within the mobile operator before I could retrieve them.

The EU data retention directive means that mobile operators are obliged to store text message contents ...but for how long? Is it 6 months, 2 years or 3 years? Previously, regulations only required the retention of the mobile numbers of the origin and destination of text messages, rather than the contents.

Also, not sure if they have to store the content of texts or whether they just store the fact that a text was sent.
I believe that call data (e.g. endpoint information, time/date etc.) must be stored but not actual content (e.g. conversations, text messages etc.).
I believe that call data (e.g. endpoint information, time/date etc.) must be stored but not actual content (e.g. conversations, text messages etc.).
Don't the Gardai exploit this source of information when tracking criminal figures? Maybe not.
Not without a suitable warrant I would hope!? :eek:
The EU data retention directive means that mobile operators are obliged to store text message contents ...but for how long?
Are you sure about that?
Is it 6 months, 2 years or 3 years? Previously, regulations only required the retention of the mobile numbers of the origin and destination of text messages, rather than the contents.
If I recall correctly the Irish laws on this stipulate a longer retention time than the EU directives but I could be wrong.

Back